Chapter 18

Narrator: After a few hours, the sun came up and the compulsion as over. I arrived to the old gate, seeing nothing but dust. And just like that, every memory, every word, everything of them was gone. Cops ruled it a prank gone wrong, but it did stop the missing posters from adding up. Last I heard, the wall was now covered in a events, stacked over the missing. It's a small win for the price. I can still feel it, the moment I had to leave, the moment I found you, the moment when I had to read everything that my old friends has ever written. I found diaries, journals, and countless reminders. I found out Rory knew. Dana told her, and like that, everything made sense again. She was to set them off, but that was just the beginning. It all hit at once and I can feel it again, in my legs, my guts, and my heart.

             So why write this story?

Because after surviving the tragedy of Dead Waters, the vampires, the witches, the wolves, the gods, and the alphas, I went to a hospital to see how we're doing. You're healthy, giggling at the nurses, not knowing that I was just tested and probed with heart failure. Some abnormal bull that will kill be by the age of thirty. Two years later, I'm barely hanging on. So I began to write, I write to remember, I write to feel them again. I just can't picture my life without all of them. But then I thought of you, a beautiful and healthy baby who has no clue of her blood. Your mother showed signs as early at sixteen, one year younger than you. I write this now to help you. To show you there is evil, but there's good, and it's up you. I love you, Jane. We all do.)

                 "Good evening Mr. Meyers."

I close the book, allowing the nurse to keep up the conversation. "I finish the book." The nurse laughs at the clumps of paper, stapled together. "Tell me you got good news for me." She gives a soft smile that couldn't hide her sad eyes. "Your heart is failing, dropping quicker. I'm so sorry."

      "Hey."

I lift my hand up, letting her know it's okay. "Me and Janie have been preparing for this for awhile. Can you call her for me?" She agrees, leaving the room, allowing me to get all my pages in order. But the weight returns, squeezing my chest.

       THUMP!

               THUMP!

                     THUMP!

My body falls back on the bed, trying to calm myself down. The door opens and her purple hair shines in the sunlight. "Hey rebel." Her voice is soft like summer rain, almost sounding too real.

        "Rory?"

15 years of just seeing her in his dreams, even days after the accident, she's never appeared so real. "Is it really you?" She nods, grabbing my hand, allowing her warmth to sink through my skin. "I have missed you so much." Her honey eyes calm my heart down to a few beats per minute. It's getting cold. "I've always wondered how I would die." She breaks out in a smile, kissing his forehead.

           "Come on, they're waiting for us."

I take her hand, leaving my bed, feeling all the ache and pain leave my body. The door opens and an overwhelming joy comes over me. They all look the same, all young and smiling. All without pain, without heartache.

           "DAD!"

Last thing I hear is the door click open and Jane's voice. She cries, hugging him. The nurse hands him her his belongings, a nice note on the pages, hoping it will be enough. 

         "Goodbye Daddy."