2- Day 1,114 8:27 p.m.

No, I think, I won't be defeated after getting this far. I twist out of the way as the butt of the gun comes down and I flip the guard holding me to my chest. The trigger is pressed right into the chest of the guard's neck. He crumbles. I take the element of surprise and shoot that guard in the head. Both immediate threats are down, but I know more are coming. I need to move. I'm sliding through the halls and the gaze of others.
        "Help," I hear. The voice is pleading. A girl, maybe. I turn swiftly. I was right about the girl. I didn't expect her to be so beautiful. Her brown hair is in a loose ponytail behind her head. Her intense gray eyes are begging me to help her, save her. The cell has bars, unlike mine. "Please." I chew my lip.
        "Stand back," I command. Obediently, she retreats to the far corner of her cell. I point my gun at the lock. The girl, I figure about fifteen, covers her ears. I pull the trigger. Even with a silencer, sound echoes through the corridor. But I've done my job. The door is blasted open.
        "Come on. Hurry," I push. "I gotta get more supplies." She runs to me, though with a limp. Her ankle is sprained, I conclude. I take her hand and haul her through the building. Her raspy breath is on my neck. I find another supply room. "Go in and grab what you need. Then come out. I'll be here to cover you." Her frightened gray eyes stare at me, and I shove her through the door.
        "This way!" a guard says. More trouble. Perfect. I see their shadows. Then, I start shooting. There are yells. Bodies are hitting the floor. They're pouring through the halls. They're getting closer and closer. Bullets are flying. One scrapes my left arm. I clench my teeth. I only feel a slight sting; adrenaline is roaring through my veins. I hear a girl scream. I'm worried but don't dare look back.
        "Go!" the girl yells. She touches my hand and limps after me through the storm of bullets.
        I'm shooting when I'm uncomfortable. The Girl Is trying to help, but she rarely ever hits flesh.
        "What's your name?" she says suddenly. "I'm Jenna." I don't respond. I just shoot our closest pursuer.
        "I'm Dusk," I finally say. A bullet whizzes past my ear. We turn a corner. I shoot the people at the door.
        Freedom. Nothing will stop us now.
        Until Jenna trips.
        She falls to the ground. A spot of blood is on her back.
        "Crap," I mutter, hauling her onto my shoulder. Her weight and two bags are pulling me down. I pant.
        Freedom.
        Fresh air.
        Trees.
        Hurry.
        I push myself out and away. I hobble to the cluster of trees. Only a handful of guards are still following us.
        "Jenna," I gasp, "you gotta climb a tree, okay? No matter how difficult it is, you gotta keep going. Got it?" I drop her before she can answer. She runs to a big oak tree with many leaves and branches. They poke and scratch me as I climb after her. Go go go. I climb until I find Jenna. I can barely see anything behind the green. Shouting and feet. Terror runs through me. Don't find us, I plead in my head.
        "Where did they go?" someone shouts. Jenna presses herself into my arm. The tree digs into my back. Wetness is on my hip. I know it's blood. I see that it's Jenna's blood, pouring from her hip. Another bullet scraped her forehead.
        "Hell, they can't have gone far," another says. A gun is emptied into our oak. Jenna trembles with it. A guard seems to look right at us. Jenna opens her mouth and I'm there to shut it. He drops her eyes after what seemed like an hour. I draw my hand from Jenna's mouth. She presses it to my ear. She talks so quietly I almost don't hear it.
        "We need to shoot them," she says. Jenna pulls out a pistol like mine. She puts three fingers to my leg. One by one, they disappear and we start shooting. There are six, and I take out all of them. How many have I killed now...?
        It's finally silent. Jenna buries her head in my shoulder and I pull my bag off. Medical supplies sit on the top. I treat Jenna's wounds and she bites her tongue. We can only hope everything will be okay.
        My backpack is black with thick black straps. It has many pockets, but not enough. I'll have to make something bigger.
        But for now, we need to settle down. Jenna hands alcohol and bandages to me. Then, we sit in silence.