Now Comes the Hard Part

DESIREE POV

My intentions weren't to show out infront of Susie's company, but to simply prove a point. There was a tragedy going on in her home and all she could think about was getting away. Hell, we all wanted to get away. I packed up the clothes I had left at her home and made my way up the stairs to her room.

"Hey, I'm going to my house to check on things and wash clothes and stuff, I'll be back tomorrow to go with you and your mom to the funeral home."

She sat straight up and looked at me. "Can I please go?"

I stood there pondering her question, I wasn't sure if she needed to leave her mother alone with her younger sister or if she needed to have a change of scenery.

"Hurry up and get dressed!"

I walked out of her room and down the hall to her mom's room. She had been sleep throughout the whole running away and getting cursed out part. I peeped my head in and surprisingly she was up watching TV in her chair.

"Ms. Debra?" I whispered approaching her as if I were a child trying not to wake her mother.

"Bring me them cigarettes and come sit next to me!" she ordered without eveing breaking her glance from the TV to me. I did as I was told and sat next to her, waiting on her to speak first because I didn't know what the hell to say. She opened her box of cigarettes and pulled one out, pulled the lighter out her bra, and lit it. After a long drag she finally cut the TV off and faced my direction. I felt like I was in a movie, because she was so dramatic.

"Desiree you been here for these girls more then I have, there is only one of me here to pay the bills, and with the hours I work, I try to be the best mother I can be, I don't always make the right choices and I'm not always here to correct their mistakes, but you, you are always the one that came running when Susie or Brittany called. I can't protect Susie and Cam the way you can, and I can't lose anymore of my babies to this ignorant shooting shit nomore." She took a long pause and looked at the picture of her oldest son, Michael. Michael was a great kid, he made good grades, worked, and had dreams in life. He was a typical teenager when it came to behavior, but was far from typical when it came to making decisions. His death was similar to Brittany's more like a wrong place, at the wrong time type ordeal, except it was a police officer. 'Mistaken identity' was what I kept hearing the news reporters say on television over and over again. I just kept saying it was a crooked ass rookie cop who was trying to prove a point. This was a sad case, even more sad because this same family went through this not even 3 years ago and here they were burying another child. My deep thoughts were broken to the sound of Ms. Debra lightning another cigarette. Aint no telling how many of those she had been through.

"What I'm saying is that I wanna sign over my legal rights of the girls to you"

I stopped in mid breath wide eyed, "Ms.Debra I'm still a child myself, how Ima raise two other girls?!" my hear was racing because I knew I couldn't tell her no, but how the fuck could I tell her yes.

"You got your own place, you work, you go to school, and you have mother instincts, you've practically been motivating Susie to get on her shit, and was encouraging Brittany to do better."

"Let me think about it Ms. Debra and I'll let you know."

"Fair enough" she sighed and turned her TV back on, which was cue for me that the conversation was over. I left out the room and found Susie downstairs waiting on me. She had gotten Cam dressed and had her sitting on her lap. I grabbed their bags, plus mine, and put them into the trunk of my car. Hopped in the driver seat, plugged my phone in, and started playing On the Run, I had to try to find a way to clear my mind of all this shit. Once, I pulled into the parking lot of the apartments I stayed in, I killed the engine and popped the trunk. Cam had fallen asleep on the way home, and outside of the little giggles Susie made while scrolling on her phone, she was quiet. I unlocked the door to the apartment and helped them get settled in. I had a two bedroom since it was just me, and the other room I used as a guest room. Susie already had clothes and shoes there because she was no strnager to my home and neither was Cam. Once I figured they were settled, I cooked them tacos and watched as they damn near devoured them. I didn't eat anything because Ms. Debra's words kept playing over and over in my head. I sparked a blunt and smoked it while Susie and Cam watched cartoons. I shook my head and wrapped my mind around the fact that I was about to become a mother to two people that never came out my vagina. One was my bestfriend, and the other was her little sister. I guess I had to step my shit up, they needed somebody.