Chapter 2: Renewing the Bond

Red slowly felt a single tear come down his cheek. He loves her, he cares for her, and he knows it. She just apologized to him for everything she's done that's hurt him, even though he told her she has nothing to apologize to him for. Red watched as Cooper took her to Bethesda hospital. Dembe sighed and placed his hand on Red's shoulder "Elizabeth will be okay, brother."

"I should've been the one apologizing, Dembe. After all, I made her life a living hell." His bodyguard and friend nodded "She knows you love her, Raymond." Red turned to him "Does she really? Or does she just think I want to protect her." Red sighed and contacted Ressler "How's Elizabeth?"

.....................................Bethesda hospital....................................

Ressler heard the criminal's voice "She's recovering, Reddington. Still a bit shaken up though."

"I want to see her." Ressler nodded. "Alright. Should I let her know you're coming?" Red shakes his head "No. Let her find that out herself." Ressler nods and hangs up.

.................................................

Liz slowly opened her eyes, and the blur of a man by her side slowly started to clear up.

 "Of course it's you." she smiled.

Red chuckled softly "You weren't expecting Tom, were you?" She laughed, god how Red loved the sound of her laughter. "Tom's dead, Red." 

Red nodded "I know." he sighed "Lizzie, there's something I must confess to you. But I fear to be disappointed by rejection." 

Liz slowly sat up. "What is it, Red?" the criminal tapped his black fedora against his leg, one of his nervous tics. Raymond Reddington doesn't have many tells, and that's his main one. Red bit his lip "Elizabeth, I......I'm......" he couldn't bring himself to tell her. "N-Never mind, Lizzie." he gets up to leave.

Liz grabs his hand, obviously surprising him "Red? What is it?"  Red sighed "Lizzie, I..........oh hell." he lowers himself closer to her until their faces were just inches apart. "You can't possibly fathom how long I've hoped for this moment to come." he whispered. Liz inhaled his scent and immediately felt calm, knowing he was right there, with her. "But what is it that he wants to confess to me? And why does he fear to be rejected?" she thought. 

Red breathed in her scent, so fearful that she'd push him away. He tilted his head and slowly closed his eyes, he then brushed his lips against hers. He began to move his head away, then he felt her soft hand on the back of his head, pulling him closer to her. He then crushed his lips into hers, burying his calloused hands in her hair. Red slowly unraveled all his hidden passion and affection for her, every fear he had that she'd reject him, vanished in that kiss. 

They slowly broke away for air, then Red rested his forehead against hers. "Lizzie..." he murmured softly "I'm in love with you, and have been for quite some time. But I feel I must apologize to you, for making your life a living hell."

"Red...." she shook her head "You have nothing to apologize for. Not to me, ever." Red chuckled softly as she parroted his words right back at him. He pressed his lips against her forehead "Sweetheart, I'm truly sorry for killing Sam, and making your life so....dangerous and miserable." 

"I believe you. I forgive you, Raymond." she breathed. Liz looked into Red's sorrowful, guilty, apologetic eyes "And I love you too, you big jerk." Red chuckled, then heaved a deep sigh "I burned your world down, trying to protect you, trying to keep you safe. I put Tom in your life to keep you safe, but instead he hurt you and destroyed your life. I never should've hired him to protect you, I'm sorry Lizzie." 

"I said I forgive you, now shut up and kiss me, Raymond Reddington." Red laughed and did just that.