True Love

-- Mark --

I had everything ready and set. Any minute, Jack was going to walk through my front door and we would announce that we were engaged. I honestly didn't know what to think of the situation. My dad, my brother, Jack, and I all sitting around on these couches looking at each other as we awaited the reactions of our decisions. Of course my dad was liable to either be really pissed or something will click and he'll just accept the fact that I'm gay and engaged to the love of my life. Yeah, we're still kids and will probably be engaged for a few years up until we can marry. I'm getting too far ahead of myself. Let's just focus on the moment and what's happening. My father and brother look really confused.

"Mark, what's going on?" Thomas finally asked, leaning back and crossing his arms.

"I can't tell you yet." I said patiently.

"Did you get expelled?" My father spoke his first words to me in nearly a month.

"No, actually - the school would have contacted you in the situation of my expulsion." I explained.

"Well, who did you get pregnant?" He asked, taking a swig of beer. His drinking only got worse since I told him, but i still stand firm on who I am. My attraction isn't a choice.

"Dad, I'm gay." I said sternly, narrowing my eyes a little before forcing myself to relax. Getting angry and starting a fight wouldn't do any good. It's best to tell him while he's calm.

"Yeah. For now." My dad hisses.

"Good god, Mark, did you hit someone with a car?" Thomas asked me.

"I can't drive and wouldn't try. The worst is that I would have done is skate into someone with my skateboard." I said, "honestly, you are both being irrational. It's not that bad."

"Well, how mad is dad gonna be?" Thomas asked.

"There's a chance he'll just be shocked and eventually accept the truth, or he'll get pissed and never speak to me again." I said.

Jack finally knocked on the door signalling his arrival and I jump to answer it. I open it and we make our way to the couch. There was an accusing look on my dads face and Thomas was already onto what was going on. It seemed he was onto me since I had opened the door.

"Now I can tell you." I said simply.

"Mark, what is the meaning of this?" My father demanded.

"If you'll give me a moment, I'll tell you." I said.

Jack and I took out our black rings and slipped them on. He looked into my eyes lovingly as he interlocked his hand with mine. I just knew this was right.

"Jack and I are engaged, dad. I proposed yesterday," my dad opened his mouth before I cut him off, "I really really really love this boy and I just know I want to spend the rest of my life with him. Dad is screaming that being gay isn't real love and that its all just a phase. If only both of you knew what I felt for the boy holding my hands right now. The tireless hours spent with him and the two in the morning chats that happened when I stayed at his house - it was all for one big reason! I love him, so much it physically hurts me. My heart aches for him and I crave more of him every single moment I'm not around him. This love I have, you may not like it, dad, but it's real. It's genuine." I spoke a full heartfelt speech and my dad just sat back poker faced.