The White Ghost and a Black Rabbit

Driving home didn't seem to last long as the apartment building came into view. Probably because my mind was a train wreck of different thoughts. My mind wandered about my new stalker and the words that Yoshimaru said. I know Yoshimaru is worried about everyone's safety in the twentieth ward, but so am I.

I parked my car and hurried to my apartment and sighed with relief as I opened the door. I was greeted by the warmth of the room with lingering smells of berries and flowers with a hint of vanilla. It made me feel at home and welcomed. I cherish the feeling of serenity; I don't get that feeling much these days. My bed was the most welcoming thing of all. My tired and exhausted body mindlessly walked to the bed. I shedded the layers of my uniform and dived into my bed to be drowned into warmth that lulled me into my favorite place, the land of dreams.

---
My eyes opened to soft warm rays of sunlight gently caressing my cheek. I rubbed my eyes and slowly sit up. The smell of vanilla and pine hit me and hypnotized my senses. God, I still find the smell intoxicating; it's the true smell of home. A smile dusted my face and I take in my surroundings. The room was different than my apartment's. The theme of black, white, and greys were a major contrast to my colorful room I have grown accustomed to. However, this room of monotone wasn't unfamiliar.

I looked to my left to find the spot beside me was empty. My eyes drifted to the open door. Curiosity crept its way into my senses and I cautiously made my way out of the bed and hurried out of door. I trailed down the stairs to the living room and stopped at the bottom of the stairwell. I couldn't believe it...

There she was...

I recognize my favorite bookworm from anywhere. She was curled up in a chair reading a book, biting on her thumb out of habit. Her almost black hair was pulled into a bun with her black glasses resting on top of her head. She was lost in her own world. I smiled a genuine smile for the first time in a long time. Warmth wrapped itself around my heart and squeezed it tightly, never wanting to let go. Tears swelled in my eyes as I admire my little raven. It's like I almost forgot how stunning her beauty was.

"Hey, you okay? You're just standing there."

I shook my head and noticed her looking at me. Her eyes were lifted from her book, but she wouldn't put it down just yet. She raised her eyebrow at me when she noticed I was at a lost for words. Her glasses settled on her tiny nose bridge, pushing her glasses up so they wouldn't fall off. I just smiled at her and made my way to her. I took her bookmark and placed it in her book and took the book out of her hands and gently placed it beside her.

"Tori! Why?! I was just getting to a really good part! She just got back together with her—" I cut her off by pulling her out of her chair and wrapping my arms around her tiny waist. I kissed her cheek before I bury my head into her neck and breathed in the smell I fell in love with, vanilla and a hint of pine. Her cute giggles flooded through my ears. It was a beautiful harmony that I've missed every day.

"Are you okay? You're acting weird." I raised up and looked her in the eyes, and just smiled. I didn't notice I was crying until I felt her soft hands wipe away at my cheeks.

"I'm perfect. I've missed you so much." The tears started to become waterfalls and she just held me. Her hand was in my hair and she soothingly rubbed my back. A sad smile graced her lips as well.

"I know you do, I know. I'm sorry I didn't make it to Japan with you. I should've been more careful when we escaped. But you're safe. You're okay." She held my face in her hands, wiping tears away and I looked into her loving warm brown eyes. "You're strong. You're going to make it through all of this without me. You need to move on. You can't mourn forever."

I held onto her shirt tightly and hugged her like my life depended on it. I held her like she will slip away from my grasp at any second. "I will never move on from you. I will avenge your death. They will pay for what they did." I looked her in the eyes one last time and tried to muster the best smile I could. "I love you, cutie."