-Prologue-

Ryujin age five

Ryujin age five.

I don't know where I am.

"You do though, don't you?"

Is this a dream..?

"It is."

I don't like this.

"Open your eyes."

I can't...

     Why am I afraid to open my eyes? I am home, in my bed, curled up against my warm sheets. I feel it, I can feel my old blanket between my fingers tips but I know I am not in my room. I know I am not safe.

OPEN YOUR EYES.

     The voice in my head is yelling, I fear if I don't do as it says, I will regret it. Slowly I open my eyes, my eyelids feel heavy, I can't see. My light is off, I can smell smoke.

"You aren't home."

     "I can see that, asshole." I hiss at the darkness. I'm frightened. I have not felt fear in so long, it makes me sick.

"Do not be angry with me, it's only a memory."

I don't question it, I just hope to the Gods that it's a memory after I left hell.

"You're so stupid, kid. It's your first memory. Don't you recognize it?"

I'm in The Pitt. That explains the fear.

      Suddenly a sharp pain hits me, and I feel the warmth of my own blood began to seep down the cold flesh of my cheek. I cannot move my own body, yet I stand. I am a child again. I look barely ten, but in reality, I am just now five years old. This is my fifth birthday. This is my present. I aged faster than the ones in my bloodline, and I was thrown into The Pitt. I had half the training the other children around me did, or.. under.

     I cringed due to the fact that underneath me, the ground was slippery. I couldn't tell if it was blood or mud but by the multiple piles of bones that lay beneath me, I knew. The bones were all so.. petite. They all belonged to children, every single one of them. I would be just another set of bones if I did not do what I was instructed to do. I had to kill, I had to awaken the demon within me. I had been trained for this every single day for the past three years of my life.

     I had never met my father, I saw him once when I was born, but his face was indistinctive. I recall only his laughter as he killed my mother the moment she pushed me out. It was a tradition. Have a child, if it's a boy, kill the mother, if it's a girl.. kill them both. I gained my mother's powers and her strength and lost her at the same instant.