Chapter Five

So, thank you to everyone who read my story for the Godfather of All Writing Contests. I'm so thrilled with the outcome and the stories submitted were nothing short of awesome! So well written! I've decided to expand this. It'll probably be a novella, not a full-length fic, similar to Mechanics and Mistletoe or A Thin Line Between Love and Hate. I'm rereading my submission to see where things will be going. Thank you for reading and supporting me!

I know I left you with a cliff hanger ... kind of a confusing cliffhanger ... Scorpion? You'll find out what that means. Or rather, how it fits in. And this will probably be the last chapter of the story before the epilogue. I told you it was going to be a shorter story.

And on with it ...

Chapter Five

Emmett shot up out of bed as his cell phone chirped. "Fuck," he spat.

"No, fuck me," Rose purred, her fingers dancing up his tattooed back. "Emmett, your woman is horny and needs you, baby." He turned around, thrusting his phone into her face. She blinked, glowering at the harsh light. However, her lips thinned when she saw the message. "She's going through with this bullshit plan?"

"I don't think it's bullshit, Rose," he said, his voice quiet, contemplative. "You're close with Bella. Has she been happy? Before Doc Cullen? Has she been truly happy?"

"No," Rose said, sitting up and taking Emmett's phone. "Boss man won't like this, Em."

"He's the one who suggested it, baby," he said. Rose blinked to him, her eyes wide. "Yeah ... he realizes that if you love it, sometimes you have to let it go."

"At the risk of Bella's life? Edward's life?" she sneered.

"There's been a few amendments, Rose," Emmett said, replying back to Bella's message. What time are we meeting? "She probably won't respond tonight. If I had to guess, she's probably going to lose herself in Doc Cullen."

"I wouldn't blame her," Rose said. "I love you, Emmett, but Doc Cullen is hot." Emmett scowled, twisting his muscular body and pinning her to the bed. She gasped, looking up at him as he gently nudged her legs apart. When he slid inside her, all thoughts she had about Doc Cullen dissipated and she lost herself in Emmett.

After making love with Rosalie, Emmett stayed with her until she fell asleep. With a soft kiss to her forehead, Emmett got up, pulling on a pair of jeans. He swiped his phone and made his way to the office in the condo he shared with Rose. He dialed Jasper. "Took you long enough," Jasper snapped.

"Sorry, I was fucking my woman," Emmett said, shrugging. "You got the message?"

"We all did. Harry, too," Jasper replied. "However, Charlie called me as soon as he got the message."

"Why didn't he call Harry? He's his second in command," Emmett sighed.

"Harry was with Charlie when the text came through," Jasper answered. "I never thought Bella would go through with the plan. She's ... she's Charlie's daughter, through and through."

"She's miserable, Jas," Emmett retorted. "Only since Doc Cullen came back into her life has the real Bella come out. Yes, she's guarded, but I can see glimpses of the woman I knew before." Emmett opened up his computer and his fingers flew over the keyboard. "Now, let's talk about the plan. Jenks on board?"

"He's been on board. He just needs to know the names for the new identities," Jasper answered. Pausing and blowing at a breath, he continued, "And a final tally of who's leaving."