I.ιιιι

- The Prince and the Count –

It was the first and last day Atsuya ever witnessed Hitomi cry before his eyes. It was also the last day she had called him "Atsuya-kun." When they met each other the next day, her friendly figure had had a complete turnover and she was addressing him very formally, going around with "Your Highness, His Highness." The Hitomi he had once known disappeared along with the wilting garland.

Feeling frustration piling up inside him, Atsuya yelled out loud and stood up. He wandered around his room for a moment, trying to calm down his nerves, but once he found it useless, he headed towards the door. He pulled it towards him and sneaked out of his room, leaving it empty.

It was about time he graced Gouenji with his presence. With that in mind, he started to head towards the west wing of the castle where the guestrooms where stationed. It was in completely opposite direction from his own room.

As he kept advancing through the corridors, he encountered with many servants, who stopped upon seeing him and bowed as a greeting. Only after that they rushed to do whatever was their mission.

The Crown Prince didn't bother to greet them back. First of all, he was in a hurry. Second, why should he even? It was clear to everyone within the palace walls that he was THE Prince. The golden crown hanging on top of his head was a reminder of that.

It was only after he had made the half way, that he suddenly remembered Hitomi's teaching, about how he should greet everyone regardless their class and status. So, as he was approaching the west wing of the castle, where his friend was being lodged, he started to nod to everyone who was greeting him.

This was all just to make sure that he wouldn't get scolded by the maroon-eyed girl. A sigh escaped from Crown Prince's lips, as he started to wonder the reason for the sudden change in attitude. Hitomi was a person who stood strong to her believes and she had always reminded that citizens liked a kind King more than a strong one.

In fact, though he would never admit it to her in person, Atsuya found the girl very scary whenever she got angry. He would even go as far as to eat his own finger, if that was to calm her down, than confront her wrath. Atsuya had yet to meet something more frightening than his personal maid, when she was enraged.

So it wasn't wise to agitate her for nothing.

Atsuya made a final turn in the corridor, and the sight certain cinnamon-haired girl hinted that he had come to the right place. Hitomi was clothed into a maid uniform and stood in front of one of the doors, seeming as if she was waiting for someone. Once she heard steps coming towards, the girl turned around. Her maroon eyes sparkled at the sight of Atsuya. "Your Highness, I've been waiting for you." The girl announced formally. Her words were the polar opposite of her expression.

Atsuya nodded lightly as an answer, and without second though reached his hand towards the doors handle in order to open the door. His actions were stopped by the maroon-eyed girl. "Let me," she spoke with respectful tone and took hold of the handle.

Crown Prince Atsuya startled back as soon as he felt her warm hand on top of his. Blinking his eyes in confusion, he felt as crimson slowly appeared into his cheeks. Once again, he had acted hastily and made fun of himself. He had never felt that way, so he was unable to gasp the situation. The worst part was that Hitomi was staring at him with those dazzling maroon-colored orbs of hers. (2).

As their eyes met, the boy with coral hair remembered the words she had said to him years ago... "I will always be there for you; I will always be looking after you. Atsuya-kun, no matter what happens in the future, I will always be by your side." Even after the years, she was still by his side. Even if their relationship was different from previous, she still remained near him.