Confrontation and Panic

The Warblers made their way across the mall parking lot. They had just finished shopping and were planning on heading back to Dalton.

            “You guys want to stop at the Lima Bean and grab a coffee first?” Thad asked and the others all nodded. Since Wes had gone back to school, Thad had become the second driver, so the guys headed over to his and David’ cars. As they were about to get in they head a voice behind them.

            “Hey! Warblers!” The guys all turned and saw the New Directions, minus Kurt and Blaine, heading towards them.

            “Can we help you?” Trent asked.

            “We need to talk,” the tall one they knew as Kurt’s step-brother Finn said.

            “About what exactly?” nick asked.

            “About what you guys did to Blaine,” the short brunette next to Finn said. The guys were fairly certain her name was Rachel.

            “You guys had no right to do what you did,” Finn said, “He was supposed to be your friend and you guys totally shot him in the back.”

            “Stabbed,” Rachel corrected quietly, “They stabbed him in the back.”
            “Yeah, that,” Finn said, “And that hurt him more than the slushy.”

            “Look, we’ve already dealt with this, so how about you shut up and might your own business,” Thad said annoyed that they were harassing them after they’d already apologized.

            “You hurt out friend,” Rachel said.

            “Someone who was supposed to be your friend,” a blonde boy with a large mouth added.

            “Exactly, so that makes it our business,” Rachel continued. The two clubs were so busy arguing that none of them noticed the blonde Warbler in the back rapidly growing paler. Jeff’s breathing sped up to the point where he couldn’t properly draw breath. No longer was he in the mall parking lot, but the football field at his old school. Kids were all around him, shouting as they beat him. He couldn’t hear what they were saying, just noise as they argued over what to do to him next. He could hear his parents arguing about this had happened through the confusing fog as he lay in the hospital bed. He glanced up as his friends fought with the New Directions, each group trying to shout over the other. He reached his hand out and tried to grasp the back of his boyfriend’s blazer. Nick turned when he felt something brush against his back and his eyes widened when he saw Jeff’s face.

            “Jeff? What is it? What’s wrong?” Nick asked, taking Jeff’s face in his hands. Jeff continued to struggle to breathe, growing more and more light headed with each passing second.

            “Guys! Shut up!” Nick shouted over his shoulder and both groups turned to see what was going on.

            “Oh my God, Jeff,” Trent said just as Jeff’s legs gave out. Nick slowly lowered them both to the ground, murmuring quietly to Jeff as he did.

            “He’s having a panic attack,” David said, “Jeff put your head between your knees.” Nick helped Jeff to lean forward and rubbed his boyfriend’s back, feeling how tense he was as he failed to draw air.

            “Here,” Finn said, holding out a water bottle which Nick took gratefully. He poured some water into his hand and then rubbed it on the back of Jeff’s neck. Jeff’s breathing slowly evened out and Nick felt his muscles relax.