Not Alone

The Warblers were walking out of the movie theatre after having just seen The Hunger Games. They were heading across the parking lot towards Wes’s and Thad’s cars when suddenly they heard a voice behind them.

            “Hey Jeffy Boy!” Nick, who was holding Jeff’s hand, felt the blonde’s grip on him tighten. The other Warblers glanced over at the boy and saw his eyes were wide in fear and they could see him trembling slightly.

            “Jeffy Boy! Long time no see!” the kids called again.

            “Jeff, who are they?” Trent asked quietly.

            “Th-They’re from m-my old school,” Jeff stuttered and Nick pulled him closer in an attempt to comfort him. The Warblers all stiffened when Jeff said this, they knew what he had gone through at his old high school. They had seen the aftermath of the serious beating Jeff got that resulted in him going to Dalton.

            “Aww, is that you’re boyfriend?” one of the boys called, “You always were a little ***!” Jeff flinched and the rest of the Warblers decided they’d had enough.

            “What did you just call him?” Jon said, spinning around to face the boys.

            “You heard me,” the one in front said, “I bet you guys are all together huh? Jeff always was a little slut.” The boys had formed a protective circle, with Nick and Jeff in the middle. The shorted boy held the blonde tightly to his side, trying to offer as much comfort as he could.

            “Please go away,” Jeff said quietly.

            “Please go away,” one of the boys mocked as his friends laughed. Jeff turned away from them and buried his face in Nick’s shoulder.

            “Look, just back off alright,” Nick said, trying to comfort the obviously terrified boy.

            “Whatever, bunch of ***s,” the boys said as they started to turn away.

            “Hey!” Trent called, “You don’t know him to you have to right to say anything to him.”

            ‘Don’t know him, huh?” the boy in front questioned, “Actually, I think we know him pretty well.”

            “You know he’s gay,” Blaine jumped it, “That’s it.”

            “Yeah, did you know he’s a great singer?” Wes asked.

            “And an even better dancer,” David added.

            “And that he’s doing really great at school even though the work is harder and he transferred half way through the semester,” Thad pointed out.

            “And did you know that he is the absolute best boyfriend anyone could ever ask for?” Nick said, gripping Jeff’s hand tight as he walked closer to the boys, “I love him and he loves me, sot he next time you feel like messing with, you can deal with me first.”

            “You can deal with all of us,” Jon said as he, Wes, David, Trent, Thad, and Blaine stepped forward too.

            “Alright fine,” the boys said, “Whatever.” They turned and walked away, leaving Jeff and the other Warblers standing there triumphantly.

            “Thanks guys,” Jeff said, turning to them.

            “Don’t mention it Jeff,” Wes said.

            “Yeah man, you’re not alone here,” David added.

            Jeff smiled in his sleep as he dreamt of that day with the Warblers. The day he realized he did have a family.

            “What do you think he’s dreaming about?” Trent asked.

            “I dunno,” Wes replied, “But you might want to wake him and Nick up, we’re almost back at Dalton.”