Crumbling Time (Chap. 15)

Gotta love parents. That's all I'm gonna say :)

Comment/vote/fan!

__________

15. Secrets Unveiled

By the time my mom and dad had arrived at the hospital, Cam must have given both my hand and lips a hundred more kisses. I was dizzy when they entered the room-and I hadn't been given anymore medication.

"Lexie!" my mom cried, running over to the opposite side of the bed Cam was standing next to and giving me an awkward hug. "What happened to you, and why are you here in this part of the country?"

I tensed up and got really nervous. Not wanting to tell my mom anything, I froze time.

It took a moment for Cam to realize what I had done. "Lexie," he moaned.

"What?" I asked, looking up at him.

He squeezed my hand, giving me another parental look. "You have to stop freezing time to solve your problems."

I sighed. "I can't do this."

"Do what?"

"Talk to them now," I said in desperation, "while I have a gun shot wound. They need to leave."

"No they don't. You just have to relax. Try to stop using your power so much, like I do."

"I won't be able to do that. My freeze power is the only thing that keeps me sane."

"I can help with that."

I looked up at him and half smiled.

He gazed at me with affection. "I'm here with you. You don't need to worry anymore, and use your power every time you face something you think you can't handle. Because you know what, Lexie? I know you can. You just don't have enough faith in yourself. So unfreeze time, and try not to use it as often."

"But I don't know what to say to them." I looked over at my parents. My mom was staring at me with an anxious expression, and my dad was standing near the doorway, calm and collected.

"Lexie," Cam said. "Maybe you should tell them about your gift, instead of using it on them."

I stared at him in utter horror. "You're kidding, right? There's no way I can do that."

"Why not?"

"They'll disown me!"

"They won't disown you," he calmly reassured me. With his free hand, he brushed my hair away from my face again. I held back my need to kiss him. "They'll understand. You're their daughter."

"Adopted," I reminded him.

"Regardless."

I sighed. "This is not right."

He bent and kissed my forehead. Again, it took everything in me not to intensify anything. "I'm here beside you. Just remember that."

"I'll try."

"Now, unfreeze your parents."

I took a deep breath, and unfroze them.

"Are you going to answer me?" Mom asked.

I half smiled. "Mom-"

"Wait a minute, sweetie." Her gaze went to Cam. "Who are you?"

"This is Cam," I explained tentatively.

It took her a moment to put the pieces together. "This is the Cameron you were saying was taking you on a trip over break?"

I took a deep breath. "Yes, Mom."