Part one: thriteen

"I'm finally a teenager!" Was my first thought on January 6th. I was at home alone like most days but decided to wake up early to make myself some pancakes with extra chocolate chips because birthday pancakes are way better than regular pancakes. I was on winter break and most of my friends were busy or not allowed out. My only hope of having an awesome birthday was if my parents got off early from work.
   Six years ago, my dad was diagnosed with something called pulmonary fibrosis, a weird lung disease by the doctor in tj. He assured us it wasn't a big deal. My parents kept on painting houses for a living. But my dad was getting tired much easier now a-days. Either way I was happy with my family. My brothers were always there to protect me and parents to take care of me. We were a small happy family and never failed to make each other smile or laugh. They were amazing but I definitely didn't want to spend my birthday alone. My birthday when I finally became a teenager! Twelve year old me was so excited for this moment. It would be an epic party with tons of friends and loads of junk food.
   Instead, I remember watching diy videos and eating half chard pancakes on the sofa with a dog staring at me. I wished my family was there as I took a bite out of the only part of unburnt birthday pancake.