Jaytail's Scolding

Foxtail stood by a cliff early in the morning. He was thinking about Flamebreeze.... Foxtail had loved her.

"Foxtail?" Flamebreeze called from a far. "What are you doing out here?"

"Nothing, really. You can come join me... If you'd like." Foxtail offered, flicking his bushy tail. Flamebreeze stepped back with hesitation, folding her ears back. She nodded, know that she might regret this. She sat by Foxtail, knowing that he had something to say.

"Flamebreeze?" He said, fixing his eyes on her. Flamebreeze looked back. He swallowed... Hard.

"Uh... Do you... Love me?" He closed his eyes. She looked away.

"I don't love you. At all. I'm in love with Wingfeather. Him and I are mates now... Surely you understand." Flamebreeze explained. Inside, Foxtail shivered and cried. He nearly screamed.

"O-of course." He said sadly.

"But I'm pretty sure that Coldblood does, Foxtail." Flamebreeze purred. Foxtail turned away, releasing his sharpened fangs.

"Why would anyone love me? I'm useless." Foxtail snapped and cried out. Flamebreeze tackled him.

"Stop! If you were useless, You would have been dead MOONS ago. So don't you dare tell me that you are useless." Flamebreeze hissed and padded away, not looking back.

She had decided to go visit Shadowpaw, he was bound to become a Warrior soon. Jaytail looked over him. Shadowpaw was fast asleep.

"Jaytail?" Flamebreeze said with concern. Jaytail jumped and looked back with tired eyes. Flamebreeze swallowed.

"How is Shadowpaw doing?"

"He's fine. He won't be blind..." Jaytail looked away. "I'm letting him rest until tomorrow. In the morning, I'm releasing him to the apprentice's den." Flamebreeze nodded in agreement.

"Thank you for taking care of him," Flamebreeze acknowledged. "Pedalstep... Well, she taught you well." Pedalstep was the past Medicine Cat. She lived a great life serving the Clan until she was murdered by Bloodclaw, a DeathClan deputy. Jaytail was young by then, so he tried to be like Pedalstep. Jaytail hissed quietly and sadly.

"Oops, sorry." Flamebreeze looked down. Jaytail's ear twitched.

"Leave, for now." Jaytail demanded with a growl. Flamebreeze's eyes grew, but she turned away from him.

Everyone is acting stupid today. Flamebreeze thought with anger. She padded to the Warrior's den, hoping to see Wingfeather, but she reminded herself that he was in the Deputy den. She let out a long sigh.

Sunstar looked into the SilverPelt late that night, eyes closed.

"Wingfeather is going to make a fine leader. His constant determination can not be drove out. I rely on his judgement. He is the finest warrior we have had in NightClan for moons." Sunstar spoke to the sky. Jaytail met up with Sunstar.

"The Warriors and apprentices that were in treatment for many moons will return to mentoring and training tomorrow at sunrise." Jaytail closed his eyes, feeling tired.

"Good. Very good." Sunstar looked at his cold blue eyes. "I know that Pedalstep died two moons ago, but, I have been seeing you push away Warriors coldly. Pedalstep was a excellent Warrior, mother, and Medicine Cat. She relies on you to accept Warriors and welcome them. Not push and tear them." Sunstar bowed his head and padded into his nest. He walked by Wingfeather, who was wide awake.

"Are you ok, Wingfeather?" Sunstar asked. Wingfeather looked at him.

"Why would you scold Jaytail like that?" Wingfeather hissed. "He is still in pain for loosing his mentor. Don't get on to him for still being a little upset. He just doesn't like cats pushing his buttons when they speak on Pedalstep. That was rude."

Flashback: Pedalstep's death

All of the apprentices gathered in front of the cave. Jaypaw sat in the Medicine Den. Pedalstep padded by him and purred.

"I'm going to go get more cobweb," Pedalstep informed. "Hold up the place for me, ya?" She said in her accent. (Scottish)

"Can I come with you? Please?" Jaypaw called after her.

"Na, I told you to hold up the place for me. Did I not?" Pedalstep said hoarsely. "Just stay here." She padded away off into the bushes clear across the camp. Flamepaw bounced into the Medicine Den.

"Where is Pedalstep?" Flamepaw's golden eyes lit up.

"She went into the Outer Territories for supplies." Jaypaw said tiredly. Flamepaw's ear twitched.

"That is odd. Pedalstep always sends you to do it!"

"But now she thinks I'm to small to be in the Outer Territories! It's not fair." Jaypaw hissed. Flamepaw closed her eyes.

"Perhaps Pedalstep is right." Flamepaw teased. "You are really small. A cat like you doesn't need to be out there." Jaypaw's claws unsheathed. He went up to her, face to face.

"Don't make fun of a Medicine-" Jaypaw heard a bloodcurdling scream from the Outside Camp. Jaypaw sprinted out of the den.

"Hold on!" He yowled. "I'm coming!" His paws thundered across the grass. He weaved through the bushes, claws blazing to catch something. Pedalstep laid beside a bush.

"PEDALSTEP!" He cried out, rushing to her body. Her chest and face was covered in blood. He felt tears burn his face. "No.." His jaw clenched, feeling his heart melt. Many cats rushed behind him. He yowled. He stumbled in sadness beside her. The tears felt like acid...

"Pedalstep... Come back to me... I can't hold the Clan without you." Her eyes flickered.

"You are going to be the new Medicine Cat, ya?" Her voice was soft. Jaypaw looked into her eyes.

"Stay with me! I still have so much to learn!" Jaypaw meowed.

"Be sure... To look... In SilverPelt tonight... You were a good apprentice. You were like a son to me, were you not?" Pedalstep's eyes were weakening. Jaypaw closed his eyes.

"Pedalstep... Please... Don't go. I'm not ready...." Jaypaw cried.

"But I am." Pedalstep became silent. Her eyes closed shut. Jaypaw yowled loudly, arching back.

"NO! PEDALSTEP! PLEASE!!" Jaypaw screamed. He fell to the floor, shaking and crying.