Chapter 5

AUTHORS NOTE

Sorry it took me so long to write, I had a bad case of writers block!! No worries, I'm good now. Carry on.

__________

I felt all of the sudden movements and jostles as Luke ran with me in his arms. What were we running from again? Oh right, the monster monkey. It ate Gary's head. And it slashed my midsection. Great.

Just remembering the previous events made the pain in the back of my head grow. I'd almost forgotten that was even there in the heat of the moment.

The wound in my stomach wasn't fatally deep, but it hurt like a motherfucker. It was probably about an inch in. The monkey thing must've just grazed me because I don't think he was aiming for me. If that thing wanted to kill me, it would've killed me. No exceptions.

I had to find answers. It was my nature. Why was that thing even there? What did Cameron call it? A slinger. Why was a weird new monkey breed on a tropical Island in the middle of nowhere? I remember talking about adaptations and stuff in school, but what on earth could be on this island that would require a monkey to have blade-like spikes on it's extra long tail?

And what was up with Cameron Dallas and the rest of those boys? How did he know what to do so quickly, and why were they gone so long? I'll have to talk to Nash when I see him.

The pain in my head and stomach was so much I nearly blacked out, but we came to a walking stop about 100 yards away from the creature. No one else knew that Cameron had killed it. I heard cries and whispers from everyone. Jake. Where was Jake.

Luke gently set me down on the sand and crouched down with me. I leaned against some luggage that somebody toted all the way over here. "You're hurt," he said with a worried expression.

His fingers started reaching for my cut, but I flinched away before he could reach it. Even the thought of somebody touching it made the pain explode like fire.

"Thanks for stating the obvious," I grumbled through gritted teeth.

Then he did something I didn't expect. He smiled. He grinned from ear to ear despite the drastic measures he'd been put through, "You're one tough cookie, you know that?"

He shook his head and stood up to talk to someone. It was Maggie. No, no, no I was gonna black out if she started examining me. I had to find Jake first.

"J-Jake. Where's Jake?" I groaned, trying to keep myself awake.

"He's helping with the children right over there, dear. Don't worry," Maggie sweetly said.

Jake was safe. He was ok, and helping out with the triplets. I breathed a sigh of relief and waited in anticipation for darkness to take over my vision. I was ready to see anything but this damn island.

It seemed as if the pain in my head had reached its crescendo when it all became too much. The noise was too much, the light from the moon was too much, even the air I breathed became too much. I gladly welcomed sleep as if it were a long lost friend.

---

I dreamed while I was asleep. Or at least I hope it was a dream.

Jake and I were on the island, but it wasn't the beach that we had become accustomed to. It was a different area. Somehow I just knew that it was the same island.

We were standing on the edge of a cliff that looked about 100 feet tall. I peered over the edge because I was looking for something. I don't know what I was looking for, but it was important.

A beautiful waterfall cascaded down the rocks of the cliff to my left. It was the same color as the ocean: a brilliant turquoise. But that's not right, is it? Waterfalls were foamy white. Weren't they? How strange.