Chapter 12

"Polly says her back hurts
And she's just as bored as me
She caught me off my guard
It amazes me, the will of instinct."
~Nirvana, Polly
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I'm going to be late for now on, money problems. You should see your dad." Mom said walking out of her room in her work outfit, the tears from a few days ago gone.

My plan was to get ready extra earlier to avoid this conversation.

"Mom, I really don't want to." I said shaking my head. Mom looked at me with an annoyed face and scuffed.

My leg moved the table from shaking so much.

"We don't know what's wrong with him, something can-" I don't want to hear anymore.

"Stop! I'm going to school and then I'm going to stay after school to tutor somebody." I said grabbing my keys and practically running down the stairs to get outside.

With dad in the hospital, I literally can't think about anything else. And how it'd kill me to loose him. But if I were to go, then it would come true.

I'm perfectly content with being ignorant. What was the saying?

Ignorant is bliss.

Because I know if I go, I'd just blurt out every secret I've been holding and I'm not ready.

I just can't.

And dad, he'd hate me. He really would. He'd hate me for being so weak and unlike a man. He wouldn't understand. And mom, she'd think it's her fault. And it isn't her fault.

It's mine.

"Hey! Ready?" Oscar asked at the end of the day, I looked down at my folder which was filled with a bunch of assignments.

Time to swallow this anxiety and smile.

Show time!

"Yeah." I said getting into my car, Oscar got into the passenger seat and quickly buckled his seatbelt.

He was wearing normal skinny fit jeans, a v-neck and converse. His backpack was a black beat up Jansport that looked like he's been having it for a while now.

The only thing in his hand was a pen, which he was now fiddling.

"Is it cool if we sit here?" Oscar asked pointing the table in the corner. I nodded my head and followed him back there.

Maybe if I do see Dad, then I'd know he's okay and I would then not have to tell him.

But what if he looks so beat up and close to death? Knowing me, I'd blurt it all out.

But I want to go, we were in a fight.

But I can't tell him. Not now. I'm not ready. I haven't told this to anybody.

I looked up at Oscar and saw he was showing me the geometry packet and his pen was pointed to a problem.

"What?" I asked with a slight blush.

"Is there a way to remember all this crap about sine and cosine?"

"S.O.H.C.O.A.T.O.A" I mumbled writing down the acronym. "For sine, you do opposite and hypotenuse. Cosine you do opposite and adjacent. Then with tangent-"

"You do opposite and adjacent, right?" Oscar asked writing it down. A proud slight smile on his lips. "Thanks."

"No problem." I quickly dismissed and started to work on my Chemistry worksheet. When I was done balancing the equations, I looked up and saw Oscar fiddling with his pen but quickly stopped. A smile spread across his face as he figured out the answer.