Reflection #1: The Day My Family Changed Forever

A/N: In honor of those that lost their lives on 9/11/2001. Never Forget.

That tragic day in 2001 was when my family changed forever. I lost my father since he was a first responder and he was in the South Tower when it fell. I will never forget my mom's reaction to the dreaded phone call that came stating he was gone. It was pin quiet in the house that day and for weeks after all I could remember was my moms crying coming from her room as my grandmother took up living with us in order to take care of me. My grandmother became my biggest supporter, my grandfather absent long before I came into my parents lives. My mom and my grandma were my biggest supporters after that day. 

They say that grief is felt by the entire family, I dealt with it my way. I played quietly with my dolls and sat in my room for hours on end switching between crying for my dad and keeping myself occupied. My grandmother would try to keep my mind off everything, but we knew that it wouldn't last long. All I could hear for 4 months that Fall was my mother grieving over her husband who left them with a 11 year old girl to raise. That was the moment that I realized it was time to push myself so my mom would be proud for both her and my dad.