1|CHAPTER ONE

The house
Sunday, 15th November, 1995 [4:38 AM]

Dear diary,
Bored with my life would be an understatement, BEYOND. it feels like it's the same thing everyday... I'm getting real sick and tired of this nowhere town, everything is just how I imagined it when I moved here. in school it's like a society where segregation is still a phenomenon. Jocks and cheerleaders are popular and anything else is chewed up and spat out, I never really acknowledged the unspoken popularity cheerleaders and the jocks had, school spirit? it was very unclear but being honest. I'm on my last straw.

(A/N THE OCEAN IS DYING AND ITS CREATURES SO PLEASE TRY NOT TO USE STRAWS AND PLEASE RECYCLE!! LOVE YOUR PLANET 🌎)

~~

I wake up gasping for air. The feeling of sweat trickle from my forehead. great another bad dream this is already the fifth time.as I procure enough strength to get out of bed, functioning solely on my adrenaline. I run my hands through my brunette locks and walk over to my window. it is still under lit outside, the only movement is the pine trees that surround my neighborhood swaying in the light breeze, very serene.
becoming enticed with the outside worlds state, I put on some black high top converse with my Pajamas which consisted of an old PE T-shirt that used to belong to my brother and some red flannel sleep pants.

as I saunter out my bedroom I take a glance at my mom in her bed in a slumber peacefully next to my younger brother,August.he prefers to be called Auggie. Only by close family though.being diligent with each stride I take, I make it down the stairs and open the front door with ease.

Instantaneously I'm met with the cold brisk air of Goldendale,Washington that emits the odor of rain and pine trees, I shove my hands in my pockets and perambulate the dewy pavement of my neighborhood.

So deep in my thoughts, it didn't concur to me that I've passed all the houses in the neighborhood and was now reaching a wooded section that I had no idea existed up until this moment.

i walk up a hill with a gazebo at the top and sit down and take in the view that is this town, not a car in sight, nor a body. i sit and wait for the sunrise taking in the view, who knew such a gloomy town could produce such alluring light?

if even this town could find light maybe there's a chance I will find mine, hopefully.
~~
"phoebe"
I hear someone coo into my ear. I groan in response.

"it's time to get up"
they whisper, I identify the voice as my little brothers.

"huh?"
I question him, Sunday is always a sleep in day which has a part in my confusion.

"Mom is taking us somewhere...she won't tell me where but it's a surprise so can you get up so she can show us? she says it's a long way away"

that last part he mentioned causing me to break out in a sinister smile, now I too was thrilled for this surprise.

"Tell mom I'll be down in a second aug"
I sheepishly say rushing to get ready. he hops out of my room (literally) only taking in account to close my door on his way out.

I run to my bathroom and brush my teeth with effort. whilst I'm getting dressed I hear auggie knock on my door,giving him permission to enter my room I put on some milk-white ankle socks

"mom wanted me to tell you that she packed you some food for breakfast so you can eat on the way there and that to bring a blanket and she will heading to the car in five minutes"