Bookshop

Immortal Love

Chapter 2

Bookshop

.

“Even God judges people for both the action and the reason.”

.

The doorbell rang as another person came inside the bookshop, which also served to be a library to some students who were too cool to go to their own school library. Nothing changed and everyday was the same for all of them. Books went in and out, sometimes even a little cash, but they had to sort the books every day that booklovers tend to misplace. There were currently just three of them working their backs off every day as Riwona, the cashier, preferred to stay behind the desk to see which costumers were good looking and who seemed to be rich.

Ally Dorner was one of the workers hired in the library assigned to rearrange the books, while the other two were tasked to clean the library and dust off the shelves. Books were great, their stories always seemed to made sense, and Ally could barely bother whether or not the details were real… unless of course she knew beforehand it wasn’t. Her blonde locks framed her sweaty face as she climbed up the ladder and placed the hardbound calculus book on the assigned shelf, when suddenly someone decided it was funny to move the ladder…

“Hey there beautiful.” A voice from down below greeted and she glared at the man who was by the foot of her ladder. She scowled at the sight of him and quickly got down and slapped his shoulder, “Ow! No hello?” he teased, smirking at her. She clenched her fists and breathed in and out as calmly as she could before stomping away to get more books, “Hey, look I’m sorry, it’s not funny, I’m sorry Ally.” He said quickly and she just gave him an icy glare…

“What do you want Barker?” she asked and she stacked up the messy pile in one of the vacant tables, “In case you haven’t noticed, I have lots of things to do and lots of books to sort.” She said and brushed past him…

“I was just wondering whether you’re free later on, maybe then we could go grab a drink or eat-”

“Can’t.” she immediately replied as she began to place the books back to their proper places. Andrew Barker, the school MVP in football, winced a moment at her icy tone. He scratched the back of his head and looked around the place, and saw everyone else were so into their books. He stared back at Ally and let out a sigh. He was never getting anywhere with her, he knew he needed to find someone else, but still, it hurt he could never have her open up to him…

“Okay,” he replied, trying to sound enthusiastic, “I’ll try again tomorrow then.” He said and walked out of the store. Riwona, who was eyeing Andrew ever since stared at Ally’s unphazed form and let out a sigh…

How heartless…” Riwona muttered under her breath and Ally paused for a moment after hearing those words and looked at Riwona who was filing her nails with care. She bit the insides of her lower lip and went to gather the pile of books beside Riwona. As she paused for a moment, she saw Riwona start to type in the needed things to type into the computer, before she let out a statement to defend herself, “You don’t know what I’ve been through Riwona, and you must not judge me too harshly.”

“Have you taken that advice to yourself too?” she retorted as she continued to type, “Because from what I could see, you’re doing the exact thing I’m doing to you towards Andrew.” She replied, glaring at Ally, who glared back…

“What do you know about boys?”

“Nothing,” she admitted, “But I know no one is the same. They may do the same mistakes in the same way, but the circumstances are always different. They are always different, one way or another.”