I'd Rather Be Asleep

Tfw you don't remember to change the title because you had this fanfic archived for like a year

I hate myself

But YOU should LOVE yourself, say you hate yourself and I will PERSONALLY kiss you mwah

Anyway let's do this at *checks time* 1:43am

• • •

"Get me the hell outta here!"

Sherwin rolled his eyes at the tiny voice coming from his backpack. He just had to ignore it. No one could know his heart manifested itself into a sentient fucking creature.

But that was not going to be on Sherwin's mind now. Nope! He was going to walk home and try to explain to his mother why he missed the beginning of school.

He knew his mother wouldn't be too upset, but he can't just say his heart is not inside his body anymore! He'd be put in therapy.

To be fair, knowing his anxiety, Sherwin didn't doubt he needed therapy anyway.

It was supposed to be spring, but the weather never really followed the rules where he lived. It was cold and nasty outside, it had been raining nonstop. He couldn't wait until it was warm again.

"I want out!"

Who knew his heart would be so annoying?

Sherwin sighed, stepping into his porch after finally arriving. He unlocked the door and walked in, finally feeling the warmth hit his skin.

Before the little shit of a heart could pester him anymore, he dashed into his room.

He tossed his bag on the bed, unzipping it. As soon as the bag opened, Shirley instantly rambled. He had time to quiet it down before him mom can home, thankfully.

"FINALLY, that felt like forever! Do you know how tight it is in there? Oh my goshhhh!"

Shirley flew out of the bag, flying circles around the boy's room.

"Please, please be quiet," Sherwin pleaded, sitting on his bed. "You're freaking me out. Do you know how weird it is to not feel a heartbeat?"

"Nope!"

Sherwin blinked. "Y'know, that's fair."

He pulled out his laptop, trying to find any sort of information on hearts suddenly flying out of your chest, but all he found were medical files and the occasional Tumblr lovecore aesthetic posts. He was a sucker for aesthetics, but this would not help. Sherwin decided to click a bit more, just in case.

"Didja find anything? I bet you did! There's gotta be someone!" Shirley exclaimed.

"Great." The ginger sighed, rubbing his eyes. "I'm happy, today was amazing, but you're annoying. You were annoying in my body because you made me nervous, you're annoying outside my body, I'm tired."

Shirley paused for a moment. "Well, sorry! I have no idea how to be in your chest again. So anxiety treatment can't help!"

"Please try to keep yourself hidden," Sherwin pleaded. "I can't let anyone else know about you. To everyone else, you're a stuffed animal and nothing more. I don't even know how I'm alive."