Chapter 2

Clouds surrounded our plane. All the sight was hidden from outside our window, sending me into my thoughts instead of quietly watching the ground. Peter was sleeping soundly beside me while I felt like my stress was taking years off of my lifespan. The clouds seemed to agree - getting slightly darker and thicker until the plane started shaking from turbulence. The seatbelt light flashed on as a flight attendant made a quick announcement. I knew I would be able to protect Peter from too much torment, but if the pack decided that a human being around was dangerous then a quick getaway would be necessary.

"Eve," Peter mumbled next to me, shuffling out of his sleep, "what if your mate is there?"

"I won't let anything happen to you, Peter." My mind twirled. What if? I was not sure how I would react. I know my mother and father and basically every wolf has told me how much a mate means to you: how the pull to be with them is unimaginably hard to resist.

"Our relationship..." Peter trailed off. He took a deep breath and wrapped his fingers around my own hand. "It won't last if you find him."

"Peter, how could you say that? It's insulting to our relationship. Have a bit more faith."

"I'm not stupid. I remember everything you told me - not that that is much - and even more so from what I've researched. I couldn't imagine being given an actual soulmate. Someone who was made to be perfectly yours. You won't be able to fight it. I can accept that." His solemn nature radiated over to me. It was like the dread was seeping out of his hand and into mine.

"Let's just enjoy the plane ride, okay?" I didn't have much else to say. 

__

My mother gripped my body tightly, refusing to relinquish any second of greeting me. My father stood to the side, smiling and watching us hug.

"Will I ever get a turn to say hi?" My dad's sarcastic question got a huff from my mom who still didn't lighten her grip.

"I haven't seen her in five lifetimes, George, leave me alone!" I rolled my eyes and began to laugh at my moms theatrics. She finally pulled away just enough to grab my face in her hands. "Was your flight okay? I got you good enough seats didn't I?"

"Mom, the trip was good. Come on, let me introduce you to Peter."

Peter stepped up and shook my mother's hand - the fact that she didn't pull him into a hug was glaring to me - as I took the chance to hug my father. After all the pleasantries were made, everyone shuffled inside my parent's small house. We had successfully avoided any trouble from other pack members as the land was spacious enough for my parents to not have any close neighbors and their own private driveway into the woods.

I could tell that Peter was trembling more every mile we got closer to the pack lands. Even that cab driver kept shooting glances back to him through the rear view mirror. Peter probably forgot that I could sense his rapid heartbeat and rising fear, so when I reached out to take his hand in mine he jumped. Reaching my parents house seemed to put his worries at ease, though. We were now alone with wolves that he knew would protect him.

My parents had dinner ready and waiting for us on the dining room table. Dad's spaghetti was always such a comforting meal growing up and even more so for it to be the first one served to me after years away from this place. I told Peter he was in for quite the treat but also forewarned that there were antacids packed in my suitcase.

"So, how is New York?" My mom inquired. The clipped but polite tone was more than obvious but we all chose to ignore it.

"It's life," I responded. "We work, we come home. More crowded than you would prefer, but we love it."