Cinderella

After maths, I collect my books and brush the spitballs off my jumper. Mr. Copper stops me as I'm walking to the door.

"Amelia." He says quietly. I stop and turn around, afraid of what's coming next.

"Yes Mr. Copper?" I ask, putting my smile on.

"If you would like, you can come to the maths group. It's on Friday lunches." He says gently.

"I'd love to." I say with my smile, and then walk out the door. It's recess. I quickly put my books back and grab 'Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Askaban' and my snack; a red apple, le snack, mandarin and Boost. I close my locker, and start to walk down to the library. I fall over a foot, probably Alicia's.

"What are you doing, show off!?" She spits. "You stepped on my foot!" I put on my smile.

"Sorry, Alicia." I say apologetically.

"You better be." She says, a sly smirk on her face. "Now give me that le snack."

"Alicia, maybe we-" the girl who looked at me in class starts. She has big eyes, that are so blue it's almost scary, and red-brown hair, put up in a messy bun.

"Shut it. Unless you want to join her." Alicia says, a smug look on her face. She opens her mouth to speak, but closes it.

"Well, go on! Join her! You've already looked at her in class! I saw you!" The girl drop her head and walks away.

"Shoo." Alicia says rudely.

I scamper off to the library, knowing I'm lucky to get away this easily today. But I feel sorry for the girl. Now she's a loser too. As I walk in, I see her sitting at a table reading. Didn't know populars could read. But then, she's not a popular anymore. I sit next to her.

"Thanks." I say after a moment of silence. "For sticking up for me and all." It's a while before she responds.

"Did she take it?" She asks. It's not a 'that's okay', but then again, we both know it's not.

"No. She must have forgotten." I say. She nods. "What's your name?" I ask.

"Cinderella." She says quietly after another long moment of silence. "Just call me Cindy." I can tell she doesn't like her name.

"I'm Amelia." I tell her. A small smile creeps onto her lips. It's a real smile, not a worn one.

"What are you reading?" I ask her. She flashes the book cover at me. 'Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters'. I haven't read it.

"What's it about?"

"A boy called Percy. He's a demigod, which is half human half Greek god. You know, like, the ones who live on Olympus. He's a son of Poseidon. It's the second book in the series." She explains.

"What's the first book?"

"Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief. What are you reading?" She asks. I show her.

"I haven't read those yet." She sighs, if I'm not mistaken, wistfully.

"Is there a copy at the library?" I ask. She shakes her head.

"You can borrow mine. If you want. I have them all." I tell her hesitantly. A smile lights her face.

"Really?" She asks. I nod, a smile on my face too.

"Sure." I say. "That's what friends are for."