Prologue

Fall was turning into winter quickly as fall was coming to an end and all the leaves were falling off the trees and more rainy days came. The chill in the air as people were preparing to buy warmer clothes for the winter and snow to come as the days grew shorter. However, not everyone was lucky as homeless had been stressing of the cooler weather now even more knowing snow shall come. In particular there was a small boy, too young to dare be in a situation of the street living life as his parents abandoned him. It's such a disgusting act the boy shouldn't or no one should have to deal with that sort of toxicity of people in their lives. The boy was merely barely about to be four and his vocabulary wasn't exactly perfect but he could be understood.

  He cried when his parents left him at a mall, he didn't stay as he ran out but it was too late and all that could be heard was "Ma" or "Pa". He's been frightened beyond means, hiding at any opportunity from the strangers he wasn't used to on the streets. The night cold and harsh, he would curl up and shiver in a dirty box or somewhere comfortable to sleep. However food was not found that day and the next day, he had no luck either as his stomach rumbles desperate for nourishment. He started to walk tiredly as he trembled the entire day of cold and would eye and sniff at anything edible. The third day - the boy thought he would be fed but only was swayed away by people as they demanded money.

  About the fifth day, a women saw the boy tiredly walking to her looking like he was on the verge of collapsing which was concerning. She stopped eating her salad and put it aside along with her water bottle then quickly gets up to go to the boy. She picks him up and goes to sit back down and touches his face and the boy closes his eyes at the attempt comfort he got from her. He gets placed to sit on her lap and he opens his eyes once again and turns to the bowl and water bottle near them, longingly. "You must be hungry" she said touching his hair, and the boy quietly nods and she reaches for the bowl.

  The boy made hands to it which surprised her as kids wouldn't want salad but then again... the boy seems desperate for food so he'd take anything. Her answer was correct as she gave him a try and he immediately opens his mouth again for more, she smiles softly. The women continues to feed the boy until the small bowl was finished but he longingly still looks to the bowl. "Here have some water" she said then places the bowl aside and reaches the bottle and uncaps it gently then tilts a bit preferring to hold it instead. She didn't want him to accidentally spill it all over himself and it's concerning how quickly he's drinking the water.

  The women didn't want him to get sick from too much by finishing the full bottle "I'll take you home and get you food-" she started to state. The boy though panicked and quickly pulls away from the bottle and moves and jumps off the bench and makes a run for it with the bit energy he got. The women gets up and goes after him but didn't succeed once he fled in a alley and hide himself deep in the alley. The women gave up and left and the boy after a few minutes regretted his decision. He was unaware of so, but he peeks out from hiding eventually and tried to search for the women but failed . Being tired once again, he went to a alley again and stayed in fear the rest of that long miserable day once again, hidden from the bypassing people.

  Another two days later, while also being the end of the week ... he had another person of interest without knowing as he had his face buried in his knees. The boy did what he usually did which was sniffle and cry to himself, while the man slowly and cautiously in a way walked to the boy.  "Hey there why are you crying" he heard a male ask and the boy looks up, seeing the male bending to his level and looking friendly. "You shouldn't cry no more, you're all alone aren't you" he said and the boy nodded softly "You're all dirty and too young to be alone" they said with concern. The boy too tired to run away had only flinched "Don't be scared, I want to be your friend - do you want to be my friend" the male asked with caution.

  The male didn't want to startle the young boy, the boy sniffles "Fri- end" the boy repeated and the male smiles and nods "Yes friend" he said back to the kid. "As your friend I'll get you a stuffed animal and something to eat" he said hopeful in a way to convince although he wasn't lying. The boy blinks and slowly eases into what the male said, "You'll have a nice soft bed and since I would be your friend you wouldn't be alone anymore" he said. He tries to reach out but leaves his hand as almost as if an animal he would wait till the boy gets trust and touches him when he wants to. He waits then the boy slowly starts to reach out with a tremble "It's okay I won't hurt you I'm your friend now" he said softer while smiling.

  The boy looks to his face almost as if he were checking if he were a good person and also using caution as well. The boy looks to the hand as he suddenly pokes the larger hand and then places his hand on it. The male smiles more "There you go, you did it" he said looking to their hands then to the boy "What's your name" he asked and the boy blinks. "Kook-" he started "Oh Kook" the male repeats till the boy chews his lip "ie-" the males questions what he meant "Kookie" he said. The boy nods faintly "I'm glad to be your friend Kookie" he said and now the boy smiles as he makes now arms to him. The male smiles and now gently picks him up "I'm Joon" he said to the boy who was actually known by Jungkook, "Joo" the boy replied instead.

  Namjoon smiles and ruffles his hair "Mhm now I'm going to take you home Kookie" he said and now Jungkook more relaxed from the male's trust nuzzled into him. Namjoon felt accomplished and warm inside, while also a bit relieved as he thought the boy would run off or he would come off as creepy. He had in mind how his roommates would react to such a young boy, but he felt it was his best decision as they also had lots of room in their home. In addition, Jungkook was skinny and dirty and could get sick with especially winter around the corner and something bad happening to him. Namjoon couldn't bare the thought of that, he would take full responsibility if he had to for the small child in his arms.

'Kookie you will be alright now, friend.'