Chapter Five: Abduction

Roe:

The silence scared me, it made me unsure, unsafe, un-anything positive.

I wasn't sure what to do about that.

Quickly though, I correct that thought. Because there is nothing to be done. I was and would never be at a leisure to assume the contrary. And that was okay. In a way, knowing I had nothing in my power to change the silence that made me want to claw my hair out calmed me a bit. The unease unfurled a little as the conclusion of my disability met me with it.

And that was okay. I'd gotten used to it.

Not the silence though. I'd never heard such a ripping sound. It was deadly.

Then a crumbling from above. Way above. The castle. It wasn't a familiar sound but I recognised it nontheless. The fortress. Just as impenetrable as the Titanic was unsinkable.

But no. That didn't make sense. Only on one condition was the wall allowed to make such a sound of defeat. When the war was over. When it was safe for the Nymphs and sirens.

But the only situation upon which the wall should reveal the thing that it was protecting was in the case of an ending to the war that had lasted ages .

But that wall hadn't slid open. It was crumbling.

Defeat. That was what this meant.

It didn't change much for me. It just meant quick slaughter instead of dulling the knife. Werewolves weren't like us, they knew mercy. Even with us Exiles, they'd be quick. I close my eyes and my body hums at the thought of eternal mercy and comfort. This is all over. Death. Finally.

Could I actually be that lucky? It seemed like a fairy tale. I wanted my prince. I wanted him to be death and consume me and never bring me back and keep me silent and still and not shaking from fear or pain that got worse every time?

Surprisingly and yet not, it's days, if I had a better track of time I may have said weeks but of that I was gravely unsure, time isn't significant when there isn't a certain number of it you have to pass to acquire freedom, when they came in.

I get food once every three days, it automatically slides in a metal tray through a chute in the metal door that keeps me prisoner. The water is rationed so carefully so it's enough to keep me alive but little enough to avoid any meaningful manipulation from me. Not that I'd have the guts to try that anyways. But despite the lack of human interaction that went through receiving my meals and water, I usually had a guard haul me in some white tile room where they would dissect bits of my brain and undo the last strings of my composure. Or a room where I had an innocent individual before me and I was asked to ruin their lives or be threatened to the same happening to me. Not that it got any lower than this.

So it's a shock when no one comes for me in days, when only silence accompanies me instead of the occasional cough or murmur from a guard outside. When the tension in my body begins to thaw a little. The tension that hadn't thawed since I was thrown into this cell and told to expect this from now on. That was wrong. But this was just one more of the things I couldn't help.

It's an even bigger shock, when the guards that finally come for me aren't the usual nymphs clad in their armor. It's actually not guards at all.

They're..... People?

Guys. Good looking ones. That wasn't right. They were laughing. And gorgeous. This wasn't not right at all. Laughing in the one place where laughing tagged you as cruel or insane was never a good sign.

But then they passed and it only hit me as their voices echoes down the halls. Werewolves. They were taking over now, roaming about these cages and leaving me with out a first glance.

Then I had to rethink that. Because like always something is coming for me.