Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

The season was decidedly autumnal now. The waves rolled more heavily, the air had a bone-chilling bite to it that Colm recognized from the cold seasons in Anneslea, and the traffic in and out of the city was almost entirely local. Those who had come to stay, did stay. Those who meant to leave, had left. Occasionally a courier vessel was sent back from the fleet, bringing news of Iarra's attempts at conquest on the Garnet Isles. They'd achieved a foothold on the northernmost island, exactly where they needed to have it in order to freely move ships and shift troops, but the Queen of the Garnet Isles, Magdeline O'Clare, had formed an alliance with the King of Speir across the sea, who provided troops and weapons for her cities while her own small fleet harried the larger, less wieldy Muiri ships.

"The poor woman's caught between two hungry serpents, and I'm afraid her kingdom will be eaten in the end regardless of whom she allies with," Megg said sadly when Nichol brought in the report. "Iarra is playing this hard, not leaving himself an easy way to retreat. Why else fight a winter war?" The king's tactics in his conquests was a continual source of debate in Caithmor. There were plenty of people who admired his all-or-nothing approach, but plenty more who had family out there in his navy, the men and boys who were toiling to take control of an island that most of them didn't really care about.

"Ah, well," Megg said, shaking her head. "There's no sense in fretting over it, I suppose. Was there any personal post for you, Nichol?" The undertone of her voice was clearly asking about Jaime, but for the first time in a long time, it didn't seem to bother Nichol.

"Nothing else," he said easily. "Anything here at the inn? You're due for a letter, aren't you?" he asked Colm.

"I'm overdue," Colm replied, and the fact that he was bothered him. He did his best to be timely with his own messages, but Baylee was as orderly as the tides, one letter coming regularly every week. It had been close to two now, and still nothing.

"I'm sure everything is fine," Megg said. "Probably just a problem on the road, or it might have been lost. Without the traders moving about the country, letters are harder to come by. We'll be lucky to get one a month, and likely none at all when winter hits."

Colm knew, intellectually, that Megg was being perfectly logical. It didn't make him feel much better in the moment, though, especially not the thought of losing contact with his family for an entire season. He hadn't thought about it... He hadn't considered that at all, and as much as he knew the separation had been necessary, it wasn't one he relished.

"You could have one of the priests send a message for you," Nichol added, using his I'm-trying-to-cheer-you-up voice. "When they pass prayers, it's supposed to be fairly reliable. It certainly is for Iarra. There's no way he's not in contact with his admirals or his regent back here in Caithmor. That's the most practical magic they're allowed to do these days."

"Passing a prayer is expensive," Colm replied regretfully. "Even if mine got to them, they'd never be able to afford to send one back to me. I'll keep it in mind, though. It's always good to have a last resort."

"And I'll do my best to keep your mind occupied," Nichol smirked.

Nichol's best was positively transportive, the kind of experience that threatened to keep Colm in a euphoric stupor if he wasn't careful. It had to be obvious to Nichol that Colm had no experience being intimate with another person. Every time they touched, he checked Nichol's face, unable to fight the part of him that had to make sure Nichol knew who he was, and that he was okay with Colm doing this, having this leeway. Nichol never flinched back, never looked dubious, was never anything except gentle and giving. It was a bit of a surprise considering the little Colm knew about how he and Jaime had gone at each other. Perhaps he wanted to differentiate his lovers further in his mind. Colm wasn't sure, but he wasn't going to object. Not yet, anyway.