Chapter 12: Operation: Help Daddy

Saturday, April 20th 2:30 P.M.

"Finally," Edward and I exclaim simultaneously as Alice emerges from the house.

She defensively places her hands on her hips. "What? I have to look the part."

I laugh as I study her outfit. She's wearing black jeans, a black cashmere sweater, a black headband on her black hair, and black combat boots.

Edward shakes his head in disbelief as Alice walks gracefully toward us. "Yeah, good idea, you black pix. We'll sure blend in now, huh?" He rolls his eyes. "And is that black marker on your cheeks?"

Alice nods proudly. "Camouflage."

Edward raises an eyebrow. "You know the whole black get-up is only for one to blend in with the dark sky. It's the middle of the afternoon right now, Alice."

"Details," Alice replies dismissively

Edward opens his mouth to protest, but I shoot him a look. "Can we go now?" I ask pointedly.

Edward nods and opens the passenger side door of his pristine silver Volvo.

"Oh." Alice places a hand over her undead heart as she walks up to him. "Thanks Edward," she feigns shyness. "But…you really shouldn't hav—"

"Shut up, shortie," Edward smiles at his sister, "and get in the back. We both know that Bella is sitting in the front."

Alice pouts but then laughs. "I knew you'd say that, but I tried." She opens the door to the back seat and enters the car.

Edward looks at me, still off to the side, and grins crookedly. "Your carriage awaits, m'lady." He bows and holds the door wide open.

Amazing how he can make me smile so hugely in such a tense situation. "Thanks," I whisper as I duck into a car for the first time in over three months.

Edward closes the door and in a blink of an eye, he is sitting in the driver's seat, buckling in. He starts the ignition, but does not hit the gas. I stare questionably at him. He silently reaches over and at first I am pleasantly surprised at his forwardness as he takes my hand in his own, but then I frown as he moves his hand down so that it is ensnaring my wrist. I realize with a start that the hand was placed there to restrain me.

"Listen, Bella." Edward looks at me seriously, his previous playful mood forgotten. "If we are really going to do this, then you have to promise me that you'll do whatever I say."

"Of course," I reply, bewildered by his sudden somber mood.

"I mean it," he stresses. "Whatever I say. No matter what."

"Okay," I say, my tone a little annoyed. If he notices, he doesn't let on.

"Good." He leans back into his seat and presses his foot on the gas. "Now don't talk or even so much as breathe until I tell you so. Oh, and close your eyes, too."

I raise an indignant and irritated eyebrow, but follow his stupid, bossy instructions nonetheless.

For the next five minutes, Alice chatters in the backseat as we head into the town.