Strange Directions (Part Two)

Chapter 2 Part 2: Soul's  P.O.V

“Okay Maka, If you are done mingling, we need to find a place to stay.” Blaire said, leaning against the hood of her monstrosity of a car.

                “I thought we had a hotel in Vegas.” Maka said, confused.

                “Well, your manager cancelled the reservations since you went to the wrong town. And unless you wanna sleep in the car, we’d better get going. Your house is pretty far.” Blaire stated, staring at me. I shifted uncomfortably.

                “I’d rather not sleep in a car,” Maka started, “But I live almost two-hundred miles away.’”

                “You two could stay at my place. I have room.” I offered without thinking. Maka looked mortified at the thought, but Blaire just nodded.

                “Ya, that could work.” Blaire stated, even though she had just met me.

                “Ummmm, why are you so trusting? You just met him.” Maka asked her.

                “Because we need somewhere to stay, and if he tries anything funny I will just claw his eyes out.” Blaire said evenly, as if threatening to claw out someone’s eyes was a normal thing. Maybe for her, it was. She lifted her hands, revealing sharp, painted-black nails. Encouraging.

                “Cool guys like me would never hurt women.” I declared airily. Maka sighed, and Blaire smiled.

                “You can follow me back to the apartment in your car.” I instructed. “Unless you want to ride back on the motorcycle?

                “No! I- I mean I’ve had enough excitement for one day. Thanks anyway.” Make said quickly, stumbling over her words. I’d say it was cute, but guys don’t think like that. I definitely wasn’t thinking that, Nope.

                “Whatever suits you.” I said, starting the engine. I felt the cool night air against my back, the wind whipping around me since Maka was no longer there to lessen the force. I drove slowly, doing my best to dodge high-traffic areas. After a few minutes, we pulled in to a small-but-spiffy apartment complex. I shut off the motorcycle, and met with Maka and cat woman in the main foyer.

                “Okay. Not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn’t this.” Blaire said in awe, momentarily abandoning her many, many bags. She walked over and started poking at a vase, causing the receptionist to cough loudly and glare at me.

                “Yes, it’s nice. Let’s go up before Kitty here breaks something expensive.” I said, gesturing to the elevator. Blaire hopped over, pressing the button to the elevator. Maka apologized to the receptionist before joining us. I grabbed some of their bags and loaded them in. I pushed the button for the top floor, floor eight.