Chapter 1

“May all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather at Great Rock for a clan meeting!” Jaystar’s voice echoed. I rushed to the entrance of the nursery but was stopped by my mother Moonfur’s tail. I looked up at my mother with a hurt expression. It was my apprentice ceremony and I wasn’t allowed to go?!

“But Moonfur!” I whined. My mother looked down and when she saw my expression her eyes lit up with amusement.

“Patience now my little Redkit! We need to wait until Jaystar calls us out!” she reassured me. That made a lot more sense!

“I will miss you when you move into the apprentice den!” Thistlekit smiled sadly. “Nettlekit and Thornkit play too rough for me.”

“We’ll still get to play Thistlekit, just not as often.” I reassured her. She beamed back.

“Thanks Redkit, although soon you will be called Redpaw!” Thistlekit pointed out.

“After a moon you too will become apprentices and then we can all train together, go on hunting patrols and train together! Oh wait, I already said that.” I giggled.

“In a bit I’m gonna be an apprentice!” Gingerkit yelled.

“So am I!” I whined.

“I know, but I’m gonna be a better one!” Gingerkit smirked.

“No, I am!” I argued.

“No! Me!” he glared.

“Me!” I repeated.

“Me!” Gingerkit hissed

“Me!” I teased.

“If you don’t stop that you’re not even going to be apprentices!” Moonfur spat. Gingerkit and I flinched at the sharpness in her voice.

“Sorry Moonfur!” I apologised, looking at the floor.

“Yeah, sorry that Redkit started it!” Gingerkit smirked.

“Hey!” I spat. Moonfur shot us one last glance, which silenced us almost immediately. Just then Jaystar came in and nodded to Moonfur. She immediately got up and I knew it was time. Gingerkit bolted out. When I walked out, rain was battering down on the camp. By the time I got to the foot of the Great Rock, my fur was clinging onto my body. But I was too excited to care about that! Then Jaystar restarted.

“The kits, Gingerkit and Redkit of Moonfur have reached their sixth moon and are ready to become apprentices of SpringClan!” Jaystar said.                                              

My eyes drifted sideways. I wish Lionwing was here as well! He's my father but he lives in SummerClan. So I know it would be impossible! There was Nightstream, she was Moonfur’s sister, and Nightstream and I were really close. I really hoped she would be my mentor. But anyone would do!

“Gingerkit, from this day forward and until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Gingerpaw. Willowheart, step forward please!” Jaystar said. A pretty, long-haired she-cat stepped forward, out of the crowd. She had a light grey coat with darker grey tabby stripes all down her back and tail.

“Willowheart you are ready for your first apprentice. Rosebreeze taught you all the things you need to know, now I wish for you to pass this knowledge down to Gingerpaw.” Jaystar announced. He waited a couple of minutes and during this time Gingerpaw bounded over to his mentor and they touched noses. After this I turned back to my leader. Just then a smell I had never smelt before struck me like an attack from Gingerpaw. But no one else seemed to notice it!