Chapter 2 Part 1

Come On! Max grabbed my hand knocking me out of my dream. He led me into the train station. He pointed to the lady's room and handed me a tote I had not seen him carrying. I looked at him with a quizzical lock. "Amira you need to wash up a little and change into some decent clothes. Everything you need is in this tote." Max told me as I grabbed the tote and he urged me towards the ladies room. I hesitated for a moment. All this is so new to me, like someone talking care of me. 

I washed up the best way I could, changed into the clothes Max gave me and threw away the rags I had on. I came out and Max grabs my hand again and leads me to the train. "We are headed to two towns away. It will be about 4 hours on the train. I got us a cabin so you can sleep," Max says. We settle into the cabin. The train starts moving and lulls me into a deep sleep. Max watches as she sleeps. I will have to prove to her that I am not going to leave her and that I will protect her. Max thought to himself and the train stopped and Amira woke with a start. Its ok, the train just stopped and we are here. Max told me.  

What do I do now? I asked him. I was so scared. What if Max leaves me? "Well we are going to do a little shopping and eating then we will get a place to stay until we figure out where we want to go." Max says with a comforting smile. "Why are you doing this? I have no way of paying you back," I asked him with tears. "I am doing this because nobody deserves to be treated the way you have been. I care about you and do not expect to be repaid. A friend helps a friend when they can and I can. I saved a lot of money so no worries." Max says as we leave the train. 

The first stop was the general store. The woman there had a couple of dresses made that fit me good. Max bought me everything I needed including my undies and boots. Max then lead me to the restaurant down the road. "You can get anything you want." Max said when we were ordering. I cannot believe this food tastes so good. It is like it is the first time I have ever had food. Well it is the first time in a very long time that I had food that was fresh. I am so full I am not sure I can move. "Little lady you look like a stuffed turkey ready to be cooked for Thanksgiving." Max told me laughing. "I cannot believe I ate so much but it all taste so good." I told him.  

"I seen there is a county fair here in town. I think we need to go and have some fun and let you work off all that food." Max said standing up reaching for my hand. We go to the fair; it is a little loud with the kids yelling. I smile because everyone looks happy. I do not believe I have seen so many people in one place and all were happy. Max drags me to a booth with stuffed animals and darts. He hands the man money and the man hands Max three darts. Max aims and throws, I watch in bewilderment. The man hands Max a star, it is a yellow star with a smiley face on it.  

Max hands me the star. We walk around for a bit then head back to the hotel. When we got into the room "Sit down a minute Amira I want to talk to you." I sit down on the chair by the small desk. I am nervous about this. Is he going to leave me here all alone? "You see the star you are holding Amira? I want you to know that no matter where you are, where I am I will always by your side. When you are feeling anxious or lonely look at that star and know that I am not far away. Look up to the sky and see the stars in the sky and know that I am near. Now since we got that out of the way where do you want to go? We can go anywhere you want." Max says to me as tears stream down my face.  

"I don't know Max. I have never had a choice to go where I want to. I am not sure what is out there." I tell max trying not to cry like a baby. "How about we stay here for a couple of days? Let you get used to not having someone watching you every minute and let your bruises heal. Then I will get a map and you can choose." Max says with a smile on his face. "I have paid for you to go to the bath house to take a real bath and wash your hair." He continues to take care of me. This is all so new to me and I am nervous. "I will bring you and when you are done come back here and I will be waiting for you." Max said as he grabbed my hand and had me stand. He led me to the bath house; he spoke to the woman there explaining to her that I was very shy and needed help.  

I am not sure about leaving her but she has to learn to trust that I will be here for her. Max thought to himself as he left Amira at the bath house. Once Max returns to Amira's room he sees the star on her bed. She will learn in due time that I love her and will never let anyone hurt her again. Amira returns looking refreshed and clean. A couple of days pass with Max taking care of Amira, showing her that not all people are the same, that there is love in people. Amira is healing nicely and looking like a young lady. Max asked the man at the train depot to borrow a map so Amira can pick where she wants to go. Amira holding the star she closes her eyes and puts her finger on the map.