Chapter 10

‼️ TRIGGER WARNING ‼️: Mention of suicide, alcohol, and drugs. Proceed with caution.

Within two hours of being at the bar, I was feeling slightly tipsy, if you know what I mean. Sarah, Kat, and I went up to sing a bunch of other songs, which didn't really help to keep them sober either.

The three of us laughed together at our table. I can barely remember what was even so funny that had us almost fall from our chairs. Whatever it was, it wasn't probably even that funny, but we were drunk enough to believe it was hilarious.

I kept glancing at Dave every once in a while, and every time I did, he did the same thing: Nothing. You could tell he was just here for a drink or two, watch people get ridiculously drunk, and enjoy the show. I don't blame him; I would do the same too. Chris and Oliver just talked among themselves.

Eventually, I just focused on spending time with the girls. The first few rounds of shots, we noticed it was a very cheap alcohol, which didn't surprise us. After all, it was a lot of free booze that had to be given out each time, so it was understandable.

"Guys, I'm gonna step outside for a minute. It's getting slightly hard to breathe in here," I told them and they both nodded, dismissing me. I got up and did my best to walk straight to the main entrance door. Luckily, I made it without tripping with my own feet.

I pulled the door open and exited the locale, instantly meeting with the midnight weather. It was quite chilly, but my body temperature was thankful for it. I sat down at one of the tables placed right next to the entrance door, feeling the cold metal of the chair against my skin.

I could finally hear myself think after two hours of loud music. I took a deep breath and suddenly felt stone-cold sober. I leaned back in the chair, looking around aimlessly. The slightly chill weather helped calm me. I had forgotten how much I liked solitude and just being on my own in general.

My solitude was interrupted when I heard a chair being pulled back, clanking as it was dragged across the ground. A figure sat across from me, yet at the same table as me. I didn't need to look to know who it was; their sigh gave them right away.

"And what brings you here now?" I asked him.

"Just needed a breather from the crowd," Dave told me. I chuckled in response.

"I can't believe you play for thousands at people at once for hours with no breaks in between, but need an actual break when you're within less than fifty people," I said, acknowledging the irony of the situation.

"You never get used to it, I guess. Nice performance up there by the way. Loved the song," He said with a laugh. I chuckled in response and slightly blushed. Maybe I should be glad it happened.

We both sat in silence; a comfortable silence, just enjoying each other's company.

"Don't you ever get tired? Like, don't you ever think of quitting?" I blurted out of nowhere. I was referring to him as a musician and all that stuff.

He turned to look at me, but my gaze was still wondering about. He thought for a couple of seconds before replying.

"Well, I've thought about quitting. It does get tiring after a while, but then you remember why you started doing it to begin with, and you realize that quitting isn't exactly a choice," He explained, his voice calm.

"A choice? What do you mean?" I asked him, wanting a little more detail.

"Once you've done something all your life, there's not really a point in quitting. Music helped me throughout all my life; when my mom was killed, when Jane's Addiction first started out, when I was a drug addict; all those times. Music is all I know. Say, I quit. Then what? What am I supposed to do after that?" He elucidated.