Chapter One

"Mother!" Ella yelled as she opened the door as she had just come back from school.

Ella was not in a very good mood. Someone had put gum in her hair and called her a freak. She did not understand what had happened that day. It was the first day of school and she was already being picked on. She walks in and sets her book bag down on the kitchen floor and walked to her mother who was cooking dinner.

"How was school, Ella?" Her mother asked as she was putting in some salt for the pasta.

Ella humphed and looked up. "Someone put gum in my hair and called me a freak."

Ella's mother looked down and nodded. "My dear you are no freak. What happened today," she asked as she turned on the stove and waited for the water to boil.

"I don't know mummy. One minute I was eating my lunch and then the food started to fly everywhere. It was strange and I didn't even get any food on me." Ella said as she looked at her mother. "Oh and mum can you get this gum out of my hair?" She asked.

Her mother looked and nodded as it was quite strange. Strange things had always happened ever since Eleanor was born. It was not very much a big shock to her mother. Although it did make her mother worry about her daughter. No matter she took her daughter to the bathroom and looked where the gum was and it was at the very bottom. Not a bad place, so Ella's mother cuts it. Eleanor's hair was quite long, so, therefore, did not matter how her mother cut her hair.

"There we are, good as new sweetie. Now mummy has to go cook. Do some homework while you wait." her mother said as she goes back into the kitchen.

Eleanor nodded as she went to grab her bag and went up to her room. She smiled as she stopped by her brother's room and patted his head as he was taking a nap. Then continued to go to her room and took out her math book. She was doing some problems for school as she hears noises coming from outside. She got up and looked out the window and wondered what was going on. There was a single owl on top of the lamp near her house. Ella wondered how odd it was and then went back to doing her homework. She had totally forgotten it was her eleventh birthday today.

"Dinner is ready! Eleanor brings your brother down, please. I will get your father out of his man cave!" Ella's mother yelled.

"Yes, mother!" Ella said as she closed her book and walked out and into her brother's room.

"Sissy!!" Alexander yelled as he was bouncing and having his arms out as he wanted to be picked up.

Ella smiled as she picked her brother up and kissed his cheek as she went downstairs for dinner. She sat her brother in the high chair as she went to go wash her hands to get ready for dinner. Once she finishes, her father came out of the office and gave a hug to her. She missed her father and looked up at him. She saw a happy and tired man who works too much.

"Papa, I was wondering if I could be homeschooled instead," Eleanor said as she lets go of her father and walks into the dining room with her father.

"Why do you ask? Did something bad happen today at school?" Her father asked as he pulled out his seat and sat down.

Ella nodded as she sat down and waited for the food to come. "Someone put gum in my hair and called me a freak." She said as she scratched her head.

Her father had nodded and rubbed his chin. "Sweetheart, just give it a few more weeks. They will come around. Everyone is a little bit weird." He said as the food came.

Eleanor's mother gave everyone plates and forks. She then proceeded to give them the pasta and some bread and chips. She then gave some for little Alexander and then gave her some food. She had water for everyone as it was a water day.