Persuasion

"Ahem," I heard a tiny voice behind me say. I turned around to find Anna smiling at me with a teasing glint in her eyes.

        "I saw that," she said, wagging her eyebrows dramatically.

        "Saw what...." I trailed off with a bland tone.

        "That," Anna stressed, "the attraction."

        "I don't know what you're talking about," I replied casually, busying myself with adjusting Anna's pillow.

         "I saw it. All of it," she replied, winking yet again. 

        "Ugh Anna you're just six years old!" I whined, with an incredulous expression painted on my face.
         "So what," she shot back.

        "You're not -" I began but was immediately cut off by the infirmary's door swinging open with its signature creaking noise that sounded close to a dying whale. Sister Elna, one of the orphanage's nuns had entered with her eyes trained on me.

        "Hey Sister Elna, what's up?" Anna's little voice greeted. "Hello Anne-"

        "It's Anna! A-N-N-A,"

        "- I hope you feel better. I came here to send Pearl a message."

        I raised my eyebrows, and Sister Elna addressed me with a warm smile, " Mrs. Wallaby has called you to her office. Something of great importance, she says."

        "Thank you, Sister Elna. What about Anna though?" I said.

        "I'm here!" I heard Miss Laire say from a distance away. "I can stay and check on her too," Sister Elna said reassuringly.

        "Hmm okay then," I said. I pecked Anna's cheek and instructed, "Nothing naughty while I'm gone okay?"
         "Okay," she replied, with a heart-melting toothy grin.

        I turned around and approached the door to leave when Anna's voice stopped me. "Pearl?" she called.
       "Yes?" I replied, facing her.

      "Raymond Winchester," she whispered loudly, with her small hands cupping around her mouth. I rolled my eyes and left.

                                                                                                *

        Mrs. Wallaby's office was situated on the second floor of the Orphanage. The office wasn't too posh as one would expect out of an 'office'. It was basically a small room with everything made of wood, except for three brown leather chairs, and the opaque glass door with a plaque having 'Earnestine Wallaby' engraved onto it. Although the office was a land of dull brown, it was warm and positive, just like Mrs. Wallaby. Sometimes I would invite myself to her office just to revel in its cozy interior and peace.

        I approached the glass door and tapped on it. "Come in," Mrs Wallaby responded. I opened the door and made my way in.

        "Ah Pearl," she said, "Come, my girl, sit here." She motioned to a small chair besides her. That chair might have probably been brought in for me, and I wondered why.

        Taking my seat, I politely greeted the gentlemen. My pulse quickened a notch when my eyes met those familiar brown ones which were flecked with green. I glanced away in embarassment, and finally returned to Mrs Wallaby with tons of questions buzzing my mind.

        "Mr. Winchester has decided to adopt a child," Mrs. Wallaby said, abruptly interrupting my train of thought. I nodded my head, wondering why she was telling me this. The adoption business was usually handled by Mrs Wallaby alone and I wondered if she suddenly wanted to get me involved. I waited for her to say something further, but an awkward silence filled the room.