Chapter 22

„There. Everything's in the car," Daniel said, closing the trunk of Marina's Honda. The Latina grinned at him thankfully.

Today was the day of her move to Tahallassee. All of her friends came to her house to help her with packing and getting ready. Even Patricia, who returned from Mexico just a few days ago, where she was arranging everything necessary for taking her mother with her at the fall. The women were packing her stuff while the men were lifting all heavy boxes. Marina's parents already had a farewell evening with her so they decided to leave the house and allow her friends to say goodbye to her. Aline had a really hard time accepting Marina's move from Naples and was constantly wiping her nose and eyes, trying to justify herself with allergies. The other girl knew Aline was simply emotional.

Nikki, od the other hand was restrained and more worried about Brian who was silent and dreary. She couldn't help it. She knew all this had a bad impact on her friend and how hard is for him to accept this failure. The man wasn't looking at it as a farewell but as a loss. It's much more difficult to recover from a loss.

She and Daniel were on the same page when it comes to this. As he was slowly recovering, trying to leave mourning behind, he now began to fear that Brian was just entering this stage. Marina might haven't' died, like Sofia but her departure wasn't any less painful. Daniel was sure of it. Over the whole day, he and Nikki were constantly exchanging worried glances and sympathetic smiles.

„When is Javier coming?" he asked.

„We have enough time," she responded immediately. „And I want you to know that I won't forget about you or leave you guys behind. I'll be coming back to Naples as much as I can, okay? I promise."

The last sentence was said with a look toward Brian. He understood the message but just squeezed his lips in a straight line. Marina then hugged Aline firmly.

„Don't worry, pal," she said. „All those things that seem so tangled now will eventually resolve by themselves. Even your impossible love life."

Aline had to laugh to it, through her tears which Marina immediately wiped. Then, she approached Diego and David, giving both of them a firm hug and a promise she'll miss them. The same was with Patricia too. Nikki was the next. The Latina stood up to her, grabbing both of her upper arms.

„I don't know you as long as I know them but I want you to know that you've really made this summer much better. You are a really good friend. I just hope I managed to return at the same pace."

The woman swallowed hard, stiffening. She wondered if this was her last encounter with Marina? She knew she would soon have to decide on the date of her returning home but hoped that, in meantime, Marina would at least of once returned to Naples. She wasn't ready to lose this friendship.

„You don't know how much," she replied as Marina's lips curled up in a smile. „Thank you for everything, Marina."

When she moved away from Nikki, there was Daniel standing next to her and for now, hiding his emotions very well. His relationship with Marina was special. It was incredible how much she had helped him to find a way back to himself. Marina surprised him by grabbing his hand and pulling him away from everyone who was watching them in confusion.

„Hey..." Daniel started but Marina just hugged him firmly, interrupting his chatter.

„Thank you," she said. „Thank you for being my friend when I was having a hard time. Dan...I'll never forget it."

Daniel's eyes were finally flickering but the tall man just smiling.

„You're welcome. You know you can always count on me."