A Missing Jewel

*This is a short story-only 1 chapter!*

"Sabrina, we're already late and I know you love the whole 'fashionably late' thing, but we're already going to take 10 minutes to get there, plus pictures before we even leave, then more when we get there, and it's 6:10 and it ends at 11: 30!"

My best friend Camden Challin was not one for tardiness. Especially when it came to the biggest night of her life other than her wedding, which I wasn't even sure she would be having. See, Camden is one of those girls who kiss guys, but never actually commit to a relationship. The point is, she was the least likely person who would be having a wedding anytime soon. For herself, of course. Her necessity to always be on time was due to incredible organization skills, and those organization skills made her a great party/possible wedding planner. Maybe that should be her job when she grows up.

"Sabrina? Did you even hear me? We're only going to be seniors once! We missed out on junior prom last year, which makes this all the more important. Sabrina!" That last outburst was due to the fact that I was no longer paying attention to her and went back to putting on jewelry. It was the blue diamond set that my mother had given me for my birthday last month. I had turned 18, and she thought that the reasonable age to pass down such a precious family heirloom. After all, blue diamonds were among the rarest.

I carefully hooked the gems on my ears, then reached for the matching necklace. But when my hands met the bare leather bottom of the case, I was puzzled. I looked down and gasped. My blue diamond necklace was... missing.

"Uhh... Cam. Camden. CAMDEN LILLIAN CHALLIN!" I yelled at her.

"What now? You finally talk to me and you're-"

She was cut off by the empty box I may or may not have been pushing in her face. "Look, Cam!"

"What am I looking at?" she questioned. "It's an empty box."

"Exactly! Guess what's not there," I prompted.

Her eyes widened in fear when she realized what the problem was. "Was it... stolen?" she inquired.

"I don't know, but I do know how we can find out. Let's start by visiting the Alexes."

The Alexes were our two best friends, Alexa and Alexis. They were twins, but fraternal. Alexa had the pale skin, grey eyes and dirty blonde hair of her mom, while Alexis was darker with deep brown eyes and killer good looks that he took from his dad who, I must admit, is very good-looking for a man his age. Or maybe he's a vampire like Carlisle Cullen... but looked more like an actual human, obviously. Anyways, you would never suspect them for relatives, maybe even think they were dating, but that's gross. Back to the story! 

We pulled up to the Alexes' house but before we could knock on the door, Alexa opened the door. She must have seen us pull up. "Hey, guys! I don't know why you're here, but I've got a problem and I was going to call you to come over but here you are and I can't go to prom without it and-"

"Whoa there, hold on a second. First of all, can we get inside? This humidity is going to ruin our hair and turn it into frizz balls," proclaimed Cam.

It was true. My hair was super damaged and when exposed to harsh weather, it got super frizzy. It had taken three hours to get my hair done because of the heat.

Once we had gotten refuge from the warm outside air in the cool, air-conditioned suburb, Alexa began explaining what had happened. "I was preparing for prom, last minute things like jewelry and checking my clutch when I found out that my silver crystal earrings were missing! I was going to call, but you're already here. But why, though?"

"We have a similar problem, actually. My blue diamond necklace is gone too!" We were coming to see if you knew anything about it, but maybe not." I relayed back to her.