Chapter 4

"Marina! Where is Chris? You didn't leave him alone, did you?" Just before taking the first bite of my chocolate doughnut, I hear my mother's voice from my far left side. I sigh and roll my eyes.

"He's in the hotel room. I got hungry," I say in a monotone voice. All I want right now is to eat my doughnut in peace. She scoffs and sets down two McDonald bags on the table.

"Why didn't you take him down here with you?" She asks me while crossing her arms over her chest.

Because I hate him, I say to myself. And I wanted to eat a doughnut. I look back up at my mom and see that she's still waiting for an answer. I thought she would have gotten tired of looking at me and walked back up to see her new favorite kid in the house named Chris Collins. But, to my great advantage, she's still here. Watching me eat my doughnut.

"I asked him, and he said he was fine waiting up there for you." Lies. I send my mother a sweet (and fake) smile to seal the deal. She sighs, takes the two bags and trots her way back to the hallway.

Once again, mission succeed.

Shit. Mission NOT succeed. Chris is gonna tell my mom about what I said to him, then I wont be able to go to New York.

I chow down my doughnut and sprint to the stairs, knowing that my mom would take the elevator. I stumble my way to the fourth floor, panting like a dog. I seriously need to start exercising. Yeah, right.

I run through the hall, trying to remember the room number.

408? No, that's my old locker number.

428? Maybe. I jog, quickly glancing at the door numbers. The hall ends on 420. Shit, shit, shit!

418! I quickly and loudly bang on the door as I hear the elevator ding.

As soon as Chris opens the door I barge in and slam it right away.

And even though it pains me to do this, I know that I have to.

"Chris, I'm so-"

"Hey, Chris. And Marina? You got up here fast." My mom says as she opens the door.

Alright. This is it. My life is over. No New York, no life.

I duck my way into the bathroom, knowing that my time is up.

"Shit!" I whisper while banging my fists on the counter. I lean my head against the door so I can hear them.

"So, why didn't you go downstairs to get a snack with Marina? She didn't scare you, did she?" My mom asks in a joking matter. I hear Chris laugh, then its kinda silent.

"No, of course not. I was just a little tired still," he answers. Did Chris just save my ass?

I think so.