Sixty seconds of sanity

Cover by dantaebts
(291) words

When it came to Derrick, it seemed all things special simply fell in his palms. Right from birth, to spoiled brat and to full on adult snob, he had all of his hearts desires. Except for one, Elena, his next-door neighbor to be exact.

With her friendly smile and brown eyes, she was the only special thing he couldn't have.

Only the heavens knew why he couldn't bring himself to get close to her. Why he couldn't wrap her around his little finger, like he did all the others.

It wasn't even the fact that she had a son, he had spun married women's lives countless times before. If anything, this should be easier.

Yet when it came to her, it was almost like his charm couldn't touch her. That his smile couldn't break her, but he couldn't stay away.

So every day at seven am sharp, he'd wait for her to take her son to board his bus. He'd even pick advert magazines he didn't need, just to see her, for only sixty seconds. Just enough for a smile.

"Morning Sir," she'd call.

"Morning," he'd answer blankly.

His face may have been stern but my my the birds in the sky knew his heart beat fluttered. In his world of plastic perfection, she was his sanity. An example of reality if you will.

When he places the magazine along with the rest of the untouched stacks, he'd set his clock for seven am the next day. Twenty four hours until his source of happiness would exchange smiles with him again.