The monster

(294 words)

Just beyond the perfect houses, and far from the peering eyes of their inhabitants, was a teenage girl. With dew ruining her freshly polished shoes and her hair fighting the current, she ran through the first patch of forest praying she was unseen.

With a final glance back, she pulled out a striped box from under her blazer. Her bruised fingers were struggling to dig a hole big enough to just hide the box. When it was finally covered, she took a breath, realizing that with it went her sense of safety.

Then she was up again ready to whisk past the trees. Unknowing of the two standing  just meters ahead of her buried treasure. Their stagnant silhouettes bringing her to a halt.

"If you know what's best for all of us... you'll tell us where it is," said the first.

"This is pointless... she won't tell us anything," explained the second.

Pushing her to the ground, the first shouted, "Tell us!" Right before the second pulled him back.

Teary eyed she laid there, as if literally frozen in fear. They left at the sight of her uncooperative state and as soon as they were out of view, she stood and wiped the dirt from her smirk.

"Fools," she whispered, walking back to her box.

Her pupils dilating, she noticed things weren't as she had left. Upon opening the box, she stepped back attempting to comprehend her devastating loss.

Then a new figure appeared behind her, lifting a bat, just about to strike. Before the hit, the new  voice whispered thanks. She turned, but it was too late, she could neither see nor stop the new face.

The secret of her box had disappeared along with her consciousness.