Ghost

Family moves into a new house; toddler befriends a ghost.

We bought a new house a few months ago. When we were in the process of purchasing the house, the renter that lived there died unexpectedly by natural causes in his mid 40's. He died right in the middle of the living room. Shortly after we move into the house and immediately our two year old daughter is talking about the ghost that lives here.

Now let's be real here. She is just two and two year olds are very impressionable. Halloween had recently passed and she had this Halloween themed book that she loved to read so it's safe to assume that all this ghost talk was coming from that book regularly.

Still she was always telling me that the ghost was in her play house in the basement or the ghost was on the stairs or in the corner. She never seemed to be afraid about the ghost and seemed to be her friend. So I really wasn't concerned that the ghost was haunting our house.

I would often tell the ghost that he was welcome to stay in the house and could leave also if that would make him happy.

I was about 30/70 on the ghost  being real. She could talk to him versus only her imagination fueled by her Halloween book. Until one day... When we were going out to the car to go to  day care in the morning it was still rainy. She told me that the ghost was on the back deck and said that it was his birthday and wanted me to sing him Happy Birthday.

Once again I mostly disregarded what she said, because she is birthday obsessed has made us sing Happy Birthday to Mickey Mouse, a bowl of fruit snacks and the bathroom.

So we sang and wished the ghost Happy Birthday and went on with our lives. Later that night, out of pure curiosity I looked up the obituary of the man that had died in our house and wouldn't you know it? It really was his Birthday!