Chapter 10

The night was slow.

Lying on his side, Yagiz held the silver bracelet in his hand twirling it. The light from the lamp illuminated his profile and his eyes looked dazed. His mind was anything but at peace.

Hearing those words from her had not been a surprise. Of course she would be angry. He knew that. But he hadn't expected this much resolve. Her eyes spat fire and hatred, contrary to her words. This was a ray of hope. If there's hate, there's love as well.

Moreover, he had a more pressing thought. Although ashamedly, but he couldn't resist thinking of how close he was to her after so long. He had held her, breathed her in.

His way forward was clear.

On another corner of Istanbul, in a small cosy bedroom, Hazan sat with her knees folded and head resting on them. She closed her eyes and the scene replayed in her mind once again.

"I know this is serious Hazan. And Im serious. More than I ever have been. And I will prove it to you."

She snapped out of it again and mentally scolded herself.

He turned you away. He disrespected your love. He didn't give any importance to 'us'. With what face is he coming to face you? She reminded herself.

But damn, those words. They were not getting out of her mind.

I won't be silent next time.

And with that, she turned off her lamp.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The briefing by the finance director in Yagiz' office had just ended. Yagiz sat at his table with Nazli perched on the arm of the couch Mert sat on. Nisan was arranging some files on the table.

Kuzey sat on the chair opposite while Hazan took notes on her phone beside him.

Nazli: "Kuzey you must have gotten an idea now how we do things here." Her tone was friendly and cooperating.

Kuzey: "Yup. It's very good actually. Suits my style more than how things were at Baba's to be honest."

A split second's awkward silence followed his statement on the mention of Arif Telci.

Mert: "Anyway, I'll be going, I have some work."

Kuzey: "Some special work I gather?"

In the past few days, both parties had been trying to get on better terms with each other through these attempts at improving informal interactions.

Mert laughed: "I wish I had someone special to go to. Maybe you could find someone for me?" He added in a mischievous tone.

Kuzey: "Wallah Im myself single so I'll find myself someone first."

Yagiz and Nazli both looked at Hazan for a split second. The former returned his eyes to the table; the latter formed an amused expression though.

Nazli: "Well what sort of girls do you like?"

Kuzey: "To be honest, I'm a sucker for looks. But then again, character, not beauty, makes you stay. Loyalty, honesty, commitment. You see what I'm getting at?"

Nazli: "Okay but have you found any such person?"

Kuzey thought for a moment. The answer was crystal clear to him. He dared not look at Hazan right now who was still busy on her phone.

Kuzey: "I think I have."

Hazan and Yagiz both looked up at him.

Is that so Kuzey bey? Shall I start preparing for the wedding? Where would you like the nikkah to be? Maybe I can become a witness? What say? Yagiz was again on his boiling mode which had become much more frequent now.