O - O - P - S

Some spirits are fucking stupid. - 

Lance and Keith have been dating for 3-4 months now, this was considered one of stay in nights. Lance decided that he wanted to play some kind of game, they didn't own any because Keith never really learnt how to play them. So Lance decided to go out in search for a game for the couple to play, with a kiss to Keith's cheek and a "See you later, babe!" from Lance, he was left alone. To pass the time Keith decided to watch some television while waiting for his boyfriend to come back.

As Lance walked around the streets in search for a game to play, he stumbled upon a witchcraft shop, Lance and Keith were both fascinated by the paranormal and creepy stuff, so why not give this shop a try? As he entered there was a creepy looking woman at the front desk, how cool.. She made eye contact with the boy and, in a hoarse voices, said, "What are you looking for? Boy,". He was taken aback by the strange voice she had, but replied anyway. "Um, me and my boyfriend were looking for a game to play, and we both love the paranormal so I thought I'd give this shop a try. Is there anything you think we'd be interested in?"

The lady gave Lance a thoughtful look, stepped out from the desk and started walking, "I think I might have something," she said, "Follow me." He did as the lady said, and he was met with a strange looking board game. Come to think of it, most items in this shop are strange. "Here." She said as she made her way back to the desk. Lance took a look at the creepy writing on the front, a Ouija Board... he's never heard of one. He smiled, grabbed some cash from his wallet, and placed the game on the desk. He was going to buy this one. As he was walking out of the shop he heard the lady say, "Be careful, boy." He wondered what she meant by that... Lance shook it off and started to make his way back home.

The next thing Keith knew his front door slammed open and he heard his boyfriend screaming whilst running towards him. "Look what I got, look look!", as Keith took the game out of the bag, his eyes went wide. "Lance, do you know what this is?", Lance shrugged and Keith sighed. "It's a board that lets you communicate with spirits, evil or good.." He gasped, "Then we have to use it!", he shouted excitedly as he got himself comfy on the floor. Keith then chuckled and moved so he was sat next to his boyfriend, "But first, there's a few rules that you NEED to follow, understand?" Lance nodded.

Keith started reading through the rules he had saved on his phone, he was an expert on this board, as Keith read, "Make sure that you are not playing alone, as it makes you vulnerable to becoming possessed," Lance kissed his cheek, causing a blush to rise to both their cheeks. "Well I'm not alone, babe. So I don't need to pay attention to that one.", which resulted in Keith shaking his head, a small smile on his lips. "So, you ready to play?" Keith asked.

"Heck yeah!" the boy replied.

After the boys set the board up, they both placed two fingers on the planchette, and circled the triangular shaped plastic object around the board three times before both the boys said 'Hello.' They both decided that Keith would ask the questions, as Lance was new to this. When he's used to it he would be able to ask questions too. Keith decided to start simple, "Is there any spirits that would like to speak to us?" After a lot of waiting nothing seemed to happen, so Lance asked, "Babe, are you sure this thing works?" Keith smiled and nodded, "Yeah, I've seen people play this before. We just need to wait until a spirit is ready to talk."

He asked again, making sure to keep his tone polite, as he didn't want to piss off any spirits, as that would be bad for the couple.

This time, after a little bit of waiting, the planchette started to move, slowly... It finally made its way to "YES". Keith decided to get to know this so called spirit. He asked questions about the spirit, making sure not to ask about either of their deaths.

He then decided to let his boyfriend ask some questions, luckily the boys had made contact with a seemingly friendly spirit, Lance asked, "When did you die?", the planchette moved to create the number 1948, after some other questions, Keith asked, "When were you born?". The board responded with 1955. The boys gave each other confused looks, so Keith asked, "You mean you were born BEFORE you died?"

The message indicator then circled the board frantically for a moment, stopped, then spelled out O-O-P-S. Then stopped and refused to move, effectively ending the boys game for the night.

Moral of the story, some spirits aren't that smart.

A/n: The prompt for this oneshot: Here is a cautionary tale that has been around for a long, long time. The point is (obviously) to warn a potential Ouija user that spirits are a deceitful lot. One gets the idea that they may not be too smart either.

We were having a Ouija session one evening and we contacted a friendly spirit who told us all about himself when he had a body. We asked him several questions about his life and family, to which he cheerfully responded. Next we asked him when he died and he said, "1948." He also mentioned that he liked talking to us and that he felt safe with the living. We then asked him the year of his birth. To this question he replied, "1955." We looked at each other, confused, and asked, "You mean you died BEFORE you were born?" The message indicator circled the board wildly for a moment then spelled out,

"O - O - P - S"

—then stopped and refused to move, effectively ending our game for the night.

Also if you ever think of playing this board game, please read up the rules. And try not to break any of them, I don't think you'd want to be possessed by a malevolent spirit. If you're confused malevolent is another word for evil, the exact definition being: 'having or showing a wish to do evil to others'.

Here's a useful website with some rules, also the prompt to this at the bottom of the page. 

http://museumoftalkingboards.com/ouistit.html