e l e v e n

The skies were golden and pink, streaked with faint clouds that did nothing to conceal the blazing sun as she set in all her fiery glory; she dipped behind the faces of the mountains, sinking faster than the night could catch up with her. 

Meanwhile I was sat in the corner of the caravan, my legs crossed and head leaned back.

"Are you alright, Ash?" asked Blake, scrambling over to sit next to me.

I sighed through my nostrils. "I guess," I said with a shrug.

My eyes ran over my too-familiar surroundings - the wide carriage that had housed three feuding captives for nearly two weeks now. Its base and the bottom half of the walls were solid, unflinching wood, while the top half of the walls were made up of thick, strong wooden bars. The wall curved in on itself forming a wide oval around us, interrupted only by the latched door.

I could feel the phantom smooth surface of the wood under the pads of my fingers, due in large part to the numerous times I'd run my fingers across the bars as I gazed outside wistfully.

Kaya sat in another corner in the same position as I- except she had her eyes closed. I doubted she was asleep though. She just couldn't look at any of us anymore. Kaya had been mum for a long time, more so out of shame than anything, I supposed. 

Good.

It had been three nights since that eventful afternoon when I had last spoken to Murphy. He hadn't looked at me either since then, even though the Guard and their prisoners ate meals together out in the open. I could either blame it on the horrific punishment he had received as a result of opening up to me, or his reluctance to explain what it was that the King had found out about my lineage.

In any case, I didn't quite believe what he had said. My parents had been terrible stains in the lives of Blake and I, but I remembered nothing before them. Besides, I really didn't put it past the Guard to trick me into willingly coming to the capital, curiosity taking me by the leash.

"Something's bothering you," Blake pressed, crossing his legs as he settled down next to me. "You can talk to me, you know."

"I know, love," I said to him with a small smile. He looked so earnest, so eager to help me however he could- but my burdens were too hefty for his little shoulders. I'd already pushed him too far beyond his limit.

"You need to talk to Kaya," he whispered roughly.

"Why?" I scowled at him slightly.

"Don't you think we need to know her reasons? I'd guess that killing so many people must be eating at her... and she seems nice enough, keeping her lies aside. What does she say to herself to make it easier?"

I growled lightly, "I highly doubt she's a nice person, Blake. I understand your reasons, but I will not speak to that..." I trailed off.

He was right, I realised. 

What did she say to justify her actions to herself? At least, enough to let her sleep at night. What were her original reasons? What was it that she had done that had resulted in so many deaths?

More than anything, I had decided to play it nice with her, hadn't I? I had plans of my own, motives of my own.

And it was so that I found myself making my way over to her. I saw her nervously swallow as she heard me approach her, but her eyes remained screwed shut. I knew she hadn't been asleep. 

Her pale, moon-white skin seemed to glow like fire in the light of the setting sun.

"Kaya." I sounded too sharp with her... much like the first day I'd met her.