Chapter 5

“WAKE UP BUTTER CUP!” Yep. That’s how I was woken up then next morning. I groaned and rolled over as Louis started jumping up and down on my bed. “C’mon, gotta adjust to the time zone! It’s noon! You’re not allowed to sleep until fourteen hundred again! My voice puts you to sleep and now it’s going to pull you from it!” His last sentence made me look up at him. I felt my cheeks heat up as I realized my IPod was sitting on the table next to my bed. He finally stopped jumping and sat next to me, smiling. “It’s not good to fall asleep with your headphones in,” he winked. I tried to smack him on the arm, but I was just too damn tired, so my hand just kind of flopped.

            “Your voice is pretty,” I complimented sleepily. Maybe if I flattered him he’d give me some more time to sleep. Not that it wasn’t true. Louis’ voice was flawless.

            “Daww, thanks love!” he replied in a girly voice. I smiled and rolled over, snuggling back into the sheets and pillows. “But you’re not getting off that easy.” I frowned and hid my face in the pillow.”Liam’s getting ready to spend the day with Sydney, and the other lads are at the grocery store. Oh, and Niall wanted me to tell you he was getting Oreo’s.” I sat up so quickly in response.

            “He did?” I couldn’t suppress the giggle that escaped my lips. And I didn’t need to. I knew why Louis came to talk to me, but I decided to pretend that I didn’t.

            “No,” Louis smirked, and my face dropped. That would’ve been cute… No, I would not allow myself to have hopes. Hopes just get torn down. “I just wanted to see how you’d react.” Time to act clueless.

            “Why?” I asked in the best utterly confused voice I could muster. Apparently I have to work on that.

            “You know!” he exclaimed, “Don’t act like you don’t!” Still, I just stared at him as if he was speaking some kind of foreign language. “Okay, guess I have to be direct about this. What’s going on between you and little Nialler?” he asked bluntly.

            “Nothing!” I answered, even though I could feel my face deepen a shade of red. Wait, why was I blushing? There wasn’t anything between Niall and me. Well… No. Nothing. Or at least nothing that would lead to a happily ever after, therefore nothing worth spending time on. I decided a long time ago that I was doomed to be a cat lady.

            “Mhm. Okay. I’m not blind like all of the other lads appear to be, Haley. I mention Oreo’s and Niall in the same sentence and you smile like you won the bloody lottery!” Of course that made me do exactly what Louis just predicted I would do. “See? I don’t understand what Oreo’s is code for, but it seems to mean something to you. And you’ve been blushing from the second I mentioned Niall’s name.” Of course, I blushed even more. I looked down, blushing and smiling like I was Clifford the Big Red Dog. “Exactly,” he concluded.

            “I don’t like Niall. There’s nothing going on. Nothing will ever go on between us. I don’t like him.” I wasn’t sure if those words were to argue with Louis or to save myself. Whoever they were for, neither of those people seemed very convinced.

            “Why can’t you just admit it?” he asked, seeming to be losing his patience with me. “You make it so obvious, might as well just say it.” I looked up worriedly.

            “I do?” I asked, “I make it obvious?” That wasn’t good.

            “Ha! You admit to it!” he hollered victoriously. “Maybe I’m the only one who notices it, but personally to me you might as well have “I have a crush on Niall Horan” stamped right across your pretty little forehead.”