Strawberries and Jellyfish

“Wren! You coming or not?” Rachel’s voice boomed from the other side of the hall. She quickly covered her mouth in embarrassment, gave a shy smile at the awestruck patrons lingering in the hall, and walked over to where Wren was standing. When she came close to Wren, she tugged at her upper arm violently and whispered, “Wren… Let’s move. We still have a lot to see.”
That brought Wren back from the reverie. She turned to see a very flustered Rachel and that was enough evidence for her to know that something embarrassing had happened. She decided to not ask anything about it. Why poke a sleeping lion?

Wren turned back to the hyacinth one last time and patted it lightly, “Bye precious!”

There was a flower and book exhibition two streets down their college, both of which are Wren’s  obsessions. She had been nagging Rachel to go with her. After lots of begging, she finally caved only after making Wren promise to buy her a milk shake and ice cream.

So there they were, walking down the aisles of gorgeous flowers. Of course, Rachel was way more excited about the ice cream, and paid no heed to the colourful bliss lining the carpeted path. Wren on the other hand was so immersed in the beauty of the flowers and often halted to enjoy it. What
she did not know was that, a boy merely ten feet behind her also stopped with her to look at her intently.

They were about to exit the temporary green house and move into the book exhibition hall, when Rachel noticed a group of three young boys observing them intently. While Wren shuffled through the never ending array of books, Rachel spent a good amount of time glancing back at the boys.

“OK. That’s it. I’ve had enough of this,” Rachel muttered suddenly.

“Uh uh?” Wren glanced up from the books to see what just made her friend so pissed off.

She had barely turned in time to see Rachel storming towards a group of three scared boys. They were a good few inches taller than her, but their size was no match for a riled up Rachel.

Wren quickly abandoned the copy of ‘the thing about jellyfish’ to run after her very angry friend.

“What the hell do you think you are doing? I have been noticing you for a few minutes. Don’t you feel ashamed to blatantly stare at girls,” she screamed.

Wren tried to pull her away from the very flustered boys. They seemed to be at a total loss of words.

The tallest among them stared at her with an almost indifferent expression. Another one seemed to be trying to say something and the last was looking at the ground standing like a statue. She felt bad for the boys for a brief moment.

“Rach. Come on. Let’s go, please,” Wren begged and finally managed to pull her away from the boys.

“I hate creeps like them. Urgh,” she muttered as Wren tried to calm her down.

“They did not seem like such bad boys. Are you sure you haven’t misunderstood them?” she asked
cautiously.

“So are you saying that I made a mistake,” Rachel turned to her with her hands on her hips.

“I’m not saying that. Let’s just not fight over some random boys. Come on, I will buy you ice cream,” Wren said in an attempt to appease  her.

“Excuse me,” they heard someone call after them just as they were about to exit the exhibition ground. They turned to see who it was and were surprised to find that the third guy was running towards them with a brown bag in his hands. He held it out to Wren and said, “I’m sorry.”

She looked at it apprehensively and then at Rachel to gauge her emotions. She looked back at the shy boy standing in front of her and against her better judgement raised her hands to receive the package.