Best Friends can be Boyfriends... Right?

A short story request for xXEmbryx143Xx :) I hope you like it! Tell me if you didn't like anything, and i'll do my best to fix it :) x

I plopped down on the couch with a bowl of potato chips, smacking Niall in the face with my blonde locks.

"Ouch, Cassie! Your hair just hit me in the eye!" He shrieked, rubbing his eyelids. When he finally stopped, his eyes were pink. "You're the worst cousin ever."

"Sorry, dude. Would some potato chips help?" I asked, placing the bowl in his lap. His eyes went wide.

"I love you!" He said, shoving chips into his mouth. He looked up at the clock and stood up, knocking all of the chips off of his lap and onto the floor. "I'm supposed to meet Harry and Lou for dinner in five minutes! Bye, Cas!" He yelled, slipping on his shoes as he ran out the door.

A few minutes later, the doorbell rang.

"Niall probably forgot something." I said, letting out a breath. But instead, I opened the door to find Liam standing there, his face soaked with tears.

"Liam, what's wrong?" I asked, my voice full of concern as I threw my arms around his body. He wrapped his arms around my shoulders, letting his head rest on the top of mine as more tears fell from his eyes.

I had never seen him like this. Sure, i'd only known him for a few weeks, ever since Niall convinced me to be a guitarist for One Direction when they perform. But we had become fast friends, bonding over the lyrics of some new songs for their album, and even some of my own. Ever since then, we'd been almost inseparable.

"Come inside and tell me what's gotten you so sad." I took his hand, and sat him down next to me on the couch. "Now what's the matter?"

He looked up at me briefly, then looked down as he started to cry again. "It's Danielle. She... She broke up with me." He could barely choke the words out as his body was overtaken by a wave of uncontrollable sobs.

"Oh my gosh, Liam! I'm so sorry! But why would she ever do something like that?" I asked, utterly confused. They seemed like a picture perfect couple. They didn't fight or anything. What could have happened?

"She said th-that I was spending too much t-time with another girl, and that I wasn't paying enough attention to her. She said that I might as well be h-her boyfriend." He croaked, covering his face with his hands. "But I can't think of anyone who i've spent that much time with!"

Suddenly, it clicked in both of our heads. His eyes went wide and his cheeks flushed, as he looked up at me. Danielle was talking about me. She thought that Liam liked ME. I almost laughed at the thought of it. It was so crazy! A guy like Liam and a girl like me? Never.

But I actually liked the thought of it. Holding his hand, hugging him...

Kissing him.

I looked down at him. He had stopped crying, and the tears on his face were almost dry. I started to feel panicked. I had just thought about kissing Liam! And here he was, just inches away from me. I felt my shyness grow. I needed a plan to get out of this situation before I made a fool out of myself.

"Uh, I should get you some tissues to wipe off your face and to blow your nose. Be right back!" I said, rushing to get away from him as fast as possible. Right as a felt myself lift from the couch, his fingers wrapped around my wrist and pulled me back down. I yelped a little as my back hit the cushions.

"It's okay, Cassie. I don't need any tissues." He said, smiling a little bit. My heart filled with warmth. I hated seeing him sad, and I knew that this smile was genuine.

"No, really Liam. It's not a problem." I said, scooting away from him a touch.

"You know, i'm starting to think Danielle was right. Maybe I should be her boyfriend." He said, almost in a whisper, as he closed the gap between us. It was like a fire ignited inside of me when his lips touched mine. It just felt... Right.

"Hey Cas, the restaurant was full, so we just decided to go out another time." Niall said, as he walked through the door. He looked up just before I could pull away from Liam. "Woah, um... Would you mind telling me what happened while I was gone?"

Liam and I both laughed. "Take a seat, Nialler." He said. "It's a bit of a long story."

"Oh, and Liam?" I said. "Yes." He didn't look at me, but I saw him smile, as he turned to Niall who had sat down in a chair next to the couch. I reached for his hand that was hanging off of the couch, and twined my fingers with his.

Maybe Danielle was right after all.