Chapter 5: Thelca (2nd Century)

The first known account of a female-born monk can be found in the 2nd century tale of Thecla in the Acts of Paul.

Thecla was a young noblewoman who lived in the city of Iconium. Her family was pagan, as most people were during this age. The Apostle Paul came to Iconium to preach. Thecla listened by her window for three days. She was so moved by his message that she decided to remain chaste and devote herself to Christ.

Thecla's family was extremely upset by her conversion, especially as she was already betrothed to be married. Her bridegroom was also understandabley angered by her breaking their engagement. They pleaded with her to change her mind. When they found her new faith to be unshakable, they asked the Roman prefect to put her to death. They rather her be dead than Christian.

Thelca was sentenced to burning at the stake, but through miraculous intervention she was saved from the pyre by a thunderous rainstorm. She escaped and set off to find Paul. However, before she found him she was assaulted by a nobleman in Alexandria. He attempted to rape her, but she successfully fought him off. She was henceforth arrested for attacking her would-be rapist. She was sentenced to death by wild beasts. Once again she was miraculously saved. The female beasts wound up protecting Thecla and fought off the male animals. This time when she escaped she cut off her hair and disguised herself as a man. When Thecla finally found Paul he allowed her to continue to preach in male clothing.

At first this story seems to place more of an emphasis on Thecla's need to disguise herself than on her actually transgressing gender norms. However, Thecla's cross-dressing is undoubtedly purposeful beyond disguise and safety. By wearing male clothes, she suppresses her female body in an act of asceticism that will not only ensure her virginity, but also help her attain manliness in spirit (Davis 53). Moreover, the role of preacher that she receives from Paul further underscores her flight from marriage and motherhood by placing her within the public sphere and away from the home.

Thecla has been celebrated as an apostle, has been proclaimed the first female martyr, and was considered the utmost example of female piety. The cult of Thecla was extremely popular during Late Antiquity all throughout the Mediterranean.

This extremely positive portrayal of a strong-willed woman is unusual and unique. What is especially intriguing is that her transcendence of gender is what made her story so popular with both the church and the populace.

...

Author's Note:

Were there any facts that you learned and found interesting?

Was there anything in this chapter that you found confusing? Or do you have any followup questions?

Thanks,
- Brian