Conclusion

My original intent for posting Not a Fad was so I would have historical research to point to if anyone questioned me having a trans character in my historical fiction novel, The Journey. But I guess the joke is on me, because the research presented here does NOT prove that people with dysphoria existed in medieval times. 

In my heart, I believe that there is a biological component to gender identity/gender dysphoria (and I think both modern science and Roman medical writers would agree with this conclusion [see ch. 4]), but this book does not include enough evidence to support that theory. On the flip side, I don't think there is any evidence to suggest that people with dysphoria didn't exist. We know is that people cross-dressed. We just can't say for certain why.  

So, I'd like to conclude this book by reiterating a few points that I hope have already been made clear and supported sufficiently.

When talking about medieval history I am usually very careful to say "gender-transgression" rather than transgender. [If I was ever too lax with my language in previous chapters, please call me out on it!] I also say "cross dressed" because this is an observable action that someone takes. The motivation behind an individual's cross dressing is unknowable without first-hand documentation. Identity is complex and terms are culturally specific.

Women who cross-dressed as men during the middle ages had many different motivations. It was a common experience for women to disguise themselves as men when traveling. Women who were escaping unwanted betrothals or abusive relationships also hid in male clothing. The prevalence of female cross dressing is solidly rooted in misogyny.

However, if we can agree that gender roles are a social construction, but gender identity is innate, then maybe it is plausible that some of the individuals who cross-dressed did so because they felt "wrong" in their own body. But this is a conclusion that can only be explored in fiction because there is not enough evidence to support it in a work of history.

Irregardless of the gender identity of the individuals discussed in this book, on a personal level, I have always related to stories of people who transgressed and defied gender roles. If you, dear reader, also identify as transgender, then I hope you have also found some comfort in knowing that people have been breaking gender norms throughout time.

Thank you for reading! I hope you learned something. And, if you disagree with any of my conclusions I am open to civil discourse and debate.