she devil

I want to run over to Christy and flee from Monica. She's attracting so much negativity. It's toxic. It's making me feel exposed and nauseous.

Monica tugs me away from Christy and safety. Vanessa and Angelica are sitting at a table, not too far away from Christy and his friends. I feel a bit of relief that he isn't the length of the cafeteria away.

"Hello again, Roxana. Care to join us for lunch?" Vanessa, or Angelica pipes up.

"You're so pretty," Angelica, or Vanessa, adds, putting her head in her palm to stare at me dreamily. It makes me slightly uncomfortable.

Monica's response for me makes me jump. "Neither of you bitches have the authority to invite anyone to have lunch with us. I invited Roxana. She's new so has no friends yet. I'm sure she'll make great friends soon though."

Monica's Jekyll and Hyde moment catches me off guard. One minute she's snarling at the twins, then she's reminding me how we'll be friends forever. It's frightening. I don't know how to respond. I just smile and sit down.

"Roxana sweetie, that's my seat."

I leap up like fire ants just fell down my pants. "Sorry, Monica. I didn't know."

She seems content with my discomfort. A sly toothless smile slithers onto her lips. She sits down daintily and opens her lunchbox.

She eyes me up suspiciously. "Nobody's stopping you sitting down right beside me, you know. It's not like I bite or anything."

Is it just me or do all snakes say that just before they take a chomp?

"Sorry, Monica."

She rolls her eyes and looks off in the other direction. Finally I can breathe. I take one deep gulp of air and then I've lost my lung function again. Because I finally find out why Monica is so particular about where she sits. Her seat gives her a perfect view of Christy's table.

I feel bile rise up my throat. She places her head in her hand and stares at him. I watch him squirm uncomfortably under her intent gaze, but he doesn't turn around this time. No doubt he knows who's looking at him.

"So, Roxana, is it true?" One is the twins whispers, leaning dangerously close to me over the table. Monica snaps out of her intense spying session.

"Is what true?"

Monica chirps under her breath, a petty laugh. "She's wondering if you're really a gangster."

I don't appreciate her emphasis on the word 'really'. She doesn't believe me. To be honest, I wouldn't believe me either. I haven't shown any of my gangster tendencies yet.

I try my best to block out Monica and her judgement. "Yes. It's true. I'm a Black Velvet gangster back in New York. My boyfriend is the boss of the cartel."

I say that with a sense of pride. I'm proud of my gang, my family, my life. My bubble bursts when Monica snorts with laughter. I gulp and stare at the shiny table, wishing she'd disappear.

She's turned into my worst nightmare. She's exactly like the monsters back in New York. She's as ruthless, as bloodthirsty as Chloe King herself, the girl who made it her life's purpose to ruin mine.