Eleven - Part A

*Warning: Explicit crime scenes.*

###

Chhaya liked to portray as a perfect wife, an ideal mother, an ideal woman, however, the flawed girl was very much a part of her too. The girl refused to learn from her mistakes, hoping no one would notice and trying her luck that even if someone saw, they would clean the mess for her.

Chhaya considered the girl as her biggest enemy for she didn't know when to discard a weapon. She either threw it away earlier than its time, like Layana; or she kept it for longer than its course, like Aakriti.

The latest weapon that worried her was Raghav. Oh, he helped her, plenty of times. But the weapon was getting sharper against her. Raghav was turning out to be the danger that could slice through her house of cards. She must fix it and must do it quickly.

---

The Luthras were not as rich as the Batras, but Chhaya was a pampered child, no less than Layana. Being the younger child, she took advantage of every situation, blackmailing her parents or bossing around her elder sister.

Kavya Luthra, the eldest of the Luthra daughters, was a gem at academics and an epitome of beauty. Her eyes never strayed from her books while the boys never took their eyes off her. Little did they know, those brown irises were aware of all the attention.

Chhaya was always known as Kavya Luthra's sister: the not so intelligent and the not so beautiful counterpart. The identity stuck well out of their school days. It was also no secret to her parents that Chhaya felt insecure about her sister's popularity.

In a bid to make them equal, their father ensured they stood on the same stage - Kavya by her merit and Chhaya by her father's merit. The donations her father paid amounted to hundred times their actual school fees. As a result, Chhaya grew up with the skewed perception that she was above her sister because her parents were expending on her, and not her smart sister.

Chhaya felt the pinch when their family faced the setback of a string of failed investments. Mr Luthra had to declare bankruptcy to get out of the debts they had piled on, and their riches were snatched from them. Chhaya lost her luxurious room in their bungalow and had to share the tiny bedroom in a dingy apartment with her sister.

The setback didn't affect Kavya as she went on to score gold medals in her undergraduate years and was still appraised for being a beauty with brains. In her final year, she found her love in a young and ambitious Raghav who had recently joined Central Bureau of Investigation as a sub-inspector. His only family was a bed-stricken grandmother, who raised him as he lost his parents at a very young age.

The wedding was decided to take place two months after Kavya's final exams. For the wedding expenses, Mr Luthra was discussing with his wife about the meagre savings that had built up with their meagre earnings. "I think we should stop paying the insurance premiums. They take up nearly half of our earnings," suggested Mrs Luthra.

"No, we need them now more than ever. If anything happens to both of us, it's the insurance money that will help our daughters. I don't want to cancel that." countered Mr Luthra.

Chhaya, who was in her fresher year, didn't listen intently as her focus was on a stunning Ghagra on the cover of the Woman's Era magazine. "Mamma, I want this. I will wear this for Kavya Di's wedding."

Her mother took the magazine and loved the look instantly. "Chhaya, this will look really good on Kavya. It's her wedding after all. I will get you a Churidar in the same colour, okay?"

"No. Not at all okay." Chhaya threw a fit. "I want this Ghagra only, and I will wear it! Kavya doesn't need such an extravagant dress. She can get married naked for all I care!"

Mrs Luthra slapped Chhaya. "Don't you dare say such things about your sister. We are not rich now to buy you all you want. When it is your turn, I will buy for you, just not now."

Chhaya screamed her reply. "That insurance money... Papa said it's for us. So get me my dress from that money."

Mr Luthra interfered. "Chhaya, dear, you must understand. The insurance doesn't work that way. If tomorrow, Mamma and Papa are not around, that money will help you and Kavya to still stay in this house."

"I hate you!" Chhaya stomped her feet and ran into her room. She fell on the bed and cried into her pillow.

Kavya came home with Raghav after a short while. She walked straight into her room while Raghav stopped to speak to her parents.

"Hi, Chhaya. Didn't go to college today?" Kavya stroked Chhaya's hair, out of habit.

"I am not your pet!" Chhaya slapped her hand away. "I hate you! You are not my sister! You are my enemy!"

"Chhaya, what happened?" Kavya came forward but was hit with the pillow. She struggled, but Chhaya relentlessly pressed the pillow onto her face. After a few minutes of struggle, she stopped moving.

The noise brought her parents. "What have you done, Chhaya?" Mr Luthra asked. "You've killed your sister."

The sisters had a habit of having sliced apples at 3 A.M., so a paring knife was always at the side table. Chhaya grabbed that knife and went at her father's throat. When her mother tried to stop Chhaya, she pushed her. She hit her temple to the sharp corner of the dresser and breathed her last.

Within minutes, Luthra family lied dead on the tiled floor. Raghav stood aghast at the horrific sight.  When Chhaya approached him, his fear was justified which made him reach for his gun. But Chhaya held his palm and pushed the arm back into the holster. "Let's talk."

---

Raghav helped her to receive the insurance amount, a part of which she paid him for his grandmother's treatment. The remaining amount became her investment to make a new life with an egoistic Ankush Agnihotri.

Twenty-seven years later, she was thinking of ending Raghav's chapter. He knew too much about her for his own good. It was high time she put a stop to him.

###

This was Chhaya and Raghav's flashback. I tried to keep the scenes as subtle as possible without deviating from logic. Let me know your reactions here -->>