Sixteen - Part A

Ayaan went straight to Payal's place. “Shall we cut the drama short?”

Payal didn't care to play ignorance this time. She put out how she got to know her father was murdered, what she had in store for the company and how she wanted Ankush and Chhaya to be brought to justice.

Ayaan listened to her, not reacting, but gauging her motivation. He was amazed at how Payal did what he needed at the moment. She had half of AMC management ready to swing in her direction.

“How did you get to know? Jhanvi Gupta?”

“Nope. I took a call from another shareholder asking if I was resigning from AMC. He filled the remaining gaps.”

“Look, Ayaan, I know you are grateful to that family and all that. But I can never ever forgive those killers. I will ensure…”

He interrupted her, “Would you like to continue as my secretary at a new company?”

Payal was dazed by the question. “Payal, I am asking you. You had collected some information on Batra Pharmaceuticals, right? The company is only under dormant state, not defunct. So, I am restarting it. Anyways, all these investors and shareholders are from that company. Now that you have pulled them out of AMC, it's easier for me to shift them to the other one. I will also take the lead over there. Are you with me?”

“If I follow you, I will lose access to Agnihotris.”

“After tonight, Ankush and Chhaya Agnihotri won't be accessible to anyone. I promise you will have your revenge.”

---

Ayaan visited Ankush next. Payal conviced the families of the victims to withdraw their complaint as Ayaan assured there would be no such accident again and would compensate all their expenses.

“Ayaan, it's good that you are back. Where did you go? Why didn't you take my calls? Do you know I am in this prison for two days.”

“I know and I'm sorry, D…” Ayaan hesitated at calling him Dad after knowing how Ankush used him as a child. “Let's go now. I already cleared the formalties.”

Ayaan drove him to Aashayein. “Why are we here?”

“To settle a few things.”

When they entered, Chhaya was waiting for them. “Ankush! You are released?”she asked perplexed by the whole setting. “We should go home. Come, Ayaan. Dhruv is also behind bars now. We will get him released as well, then everything will be fine.”

Ayaan didn't move an inch. “Dhruv shot someone that too before the police. How do you expect me to correct that?”

“I don't know all that. He didn't do it. No, he didn't. I will find someone else to take the blame. I can't see my Dhruv like this.” Chhaya was blabbering.

Ayaan crossed his limit for patience. “Can you shut up and sit down? I want to talk to you both.”

Chhaya stumbled back and sat pulling Ankush next to her. Both were dumbfounded by the rude remark from the ever respectful Ayaan.

“I found the will. I know your histories. I have proof as well. So don't even bother trying to deny those versions.”

“What… what will? Aakriti's?” Ankush asked in an unsure tone.

“You are still sleeping; let me wake you up! My mother's will. Mrs Layana Batra Agnihotri. Your wife. The person you killed to satisfy your wants.”

“How? Who… Who told you about her?”

“I found out. The way you are stammering is yet another evidence that I was not supposed to know this story. Since the beginning was here, at Aashayein, let's end it here itself.”

Chhaya thought of her trump card and relaxed. “So, what? You want avenge her death? Don't forget that your mother abandobed you at a railway station. It was our charity that brought you here.”

“It was not your charity. It was your weakness. And, who said anything of vengeance? I am here to thank you. Despite the circumstances, I can't overlook the effort you have put in to raise me. I am also here to protect you; to warn you of other dangers that wait outside. Rather, other dangers that can't wait to get to you.”

“Really? You don't hate me?” Ankush asked.

“I hate you. I hate you as much as I hate my mother. Both of you are same in my book. You both used me to meet your means. That's the reason I can't think of revenge.”

“Good. Good.” A faint smile appeared on Ankush's smile.

“There's one more reason. Revenge is taken by the person you have wronged. That would be my mother. And she had her fill at it. Using the will, unknown to you, she controlled your actions. She ensured I grow up as your son. As for Mrs Agnihotri, I believe there's no better punishment that to bring up the child of your enemy like you raise your own child. The justice is done. That issue is closed. Between you and me.”

“Ayaan, get to the point!”

“Mrs Agnihotri, aren't you too impatient? How can you forget the rest of the deaths you have executed? I am amazed at the length of the list and the fact that none could implicate you. Starting from your own family to Aunt Aakriti, each one is credited to you. May be you forgot but at every incident, you left clues to be picked up. There's no fun in punishing for old crimes. Here's the latest proof.” Ayaan showed the video of Chhaya ending Aakriti's life.

Ankush's eyes turned red with rage coursing through his limbs. “No. No, Mr Agnihotri. Not yet. You too have fair share of blood of your hands. My mother and my grandparents were your victims.”

Ayaan raised from his chair as he explained. “That video is already with the crime branch and they are waiting outside to arrest you, ‘Mom’. The company you have established is burnt to ashes with the shareholders shifting to Batra Pharmaceuticals. The debtors are also outside cooling their heels. Even if you are ready to face them, there are three people holding out a special party.”

“You are just telling all this to scare us. Ayaan, how can you do this to your father?”

“Play that card all you want. That's exactly why I'm keeping you here, away from those problems.”

“Who are those three people?” Chhaya asked.

It was Ayaan's turn to smile as he gave out the names.

“Ishika Gupta. Payal Singh. Dhruv Agnihotri.”

###

Yes! Yes! Yes! I'm finally one update away from completing this story.