BIRTHDAY

Harry listened halfheartedly as Ron droned on after the quidditch match. They had just watched the Chudley Cannons suffer a huge defeat. Harry had known they wouldn't stand up against the Irish, but he'd bought the tickets anyways. Sometimes you just had to cheer for the losing team. One of those times is when your best mate's favorite team happens to be playing on his birthday.

     “Let's grab a quick pint before we head back to the Burrow,” Harry said as he dragged Ron into a pub. Grabbing their drinks, the two friends sat themselves at a corner table and watched others come and go. “You know,” Harry said before sipping his ale. “There was a time when I worried that I wouldn't make it to see you turn 30. I'm glad I did. I'm even happier that I'm still better looking than you.”

       “What makes you think you're better looking, you old toad.” Ron shoved Harry's shoulder lightly as the two chuckled softly.

        “I believe that I look a damn sight better than either of you.” The laughing friends looked up at the tall arrogant blond that had approached them. “What are we celebrating?,” Draco said.

         “We're having a pint for my birthday, Malfoy,” Ron muttered. “What are you doing?”

        “I just thought I'd see how my old schoolmates are doing. Just making polite conversation, Weasley.” Draco smiled at them while trying to hide that he was looking over his shoulder. “Mind if I join you?”

       Harry noticed Malfoy looking over his shoulder. He nonchalantly scanned the pub and saw two guys, standing mostly in shadow. It seemed they were looking in Malfoy's direction. “Sure, Draco,” Harry said smiling. “Join us for a pint. It's not everyday Ron turns 30. He's just going to keep getting older and older. Look at those grey hairs by his ears. They keep growing faster and faster.” Harry leaned forward quickly, before Ron could elbow him. He whispered across to Malfoy, “How can we help?”

     “Just let me sit with you for a bit, if you don't mind. They won't do anything in public. I'll walk with you to the apparation point and we can go our separate ways,” Draco said to Harry and Ron in a low voice. “I've come across a few odd things at work that have attracted unwanted attention. I noticed those goons following me so I slipped in here.  You have no idea how happy I was to see you two. I appreciate you helping me. I know I'm an ass, but I owe you, Potter.”

        “You owe him more than one if I remember correctly,” chuckled Ron. “Be thankful he has his own children and didn't ask for your first born son.”

        “I might trade him though. James and Teddy like the pranks almost as much as Fred and George. Scorpius is more like Hermione.” The three men laughed a bit and drank another pint while talking about their children. It wasn't long before they left the pub and headed to a dark alley.

       “Thank you both,” Malfoy said as he shook Harry's hand. Nodding to Ron before he left with a pop.